Couple of recent shots

If you want comments on your images.
Phil_T

Couple of recent shots

Post by Phil_T » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Here's two more taken recently. Critiques welcome.

First is a view over a housing development near Wakefield taken at dusk. This is a composite of two exposures taken about 20mins apart - one for the dramatic sky and one to get the street lighting. Purists look away now.

Arca Swiss 4x5. Caltar 90mm II-N 6.8. Pro 160NS

The second one is of the viaduct passing through Wakefield city Centre taken just after sunrise. I like this for some reason but I'd be interested to hear what others think of it.

Arca Swiss 4x5. Caltar 90mm II-N 6.8. Ektar.

Nigels
Forum Hero

Re: Couple of recent shots

Post by Nigels » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I see what you mean about the second shot. I like the way all the lines draw you to the centre of the shot leading you down the mast to the discarded shopping trolley which becomes the dominant element in the image. I have been to Wakefield once and found it quite a depressing town centre where there were so many bargain or "pound" shops. It felt like a deprived place well into a decline. The discarded shopping trolley kind of symbolises this for me. And in contrast to all this we have a speeding train on the viaduct representing the rest of life or the country passing Wakefield by. It might also work as a contrasty b/w and would benefit form rendering the bright sky better. Worth working on I think.
As a final comment on the image, I would crop a bit off the bottom to loose the horizontal bit of the curb and also a bit off the top to loose the end of the gutter in the top right.
Sorry, but the first one doesn't do much for me.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Phil_T

Re: Couple of recent shots

Post by Phil_T » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the comments. I did try the crop you suggest but found image looked a bit 'top-heavy' . However, the photo is a strange proportion at the moment so I'll probably have to do something along those lines if I want to print it.

The sky is a bit of a lost cause I think, I had to let it overexpose in order to get shadow detail under the arches. I might be able to improve it a little if my photoshop skills are up to it but it's never going to be fantastic.

Wakefield is undergoing something of a renaissance at the moment but has always been overshadowed by nearby Leeds. Maybe the council could use my photo in some of the promotional stuff they produce. Or maybe not.