Pinhole Photography

If you want comments on your images.
Chong

Pinhole Photography

Post by Chong » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dear All,
I asked about pinhole photography a while back in particular to exposure compensation. Here is the result:-

Thank you to all who had helped. The interesting thing here is how the pinhole had scattered direct sunlight and turned it into the different spectrums.

Regards

Chong

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just like the harbour at Craster, footprints in the sand, rocks, water :wink: except the sun, boats etc...

Don't say this was taken on the 10x8 on tranny film :shock: How much did that run to until you got a decent one?

I like the rainbow effect - it seem strange emanating from the top left and not being a complete round unless you've cropped a full sheet down to roughly a quarter size. I guess you were taking the picture almost into the sun with the direction of the shadows in the water so this had a bearing on the colour effect - it's nearly like you've stuck on a Cokin filter!

I'm assuming you've managed to get a small pinhole diameter from the apparent depth of field or can you play with movements as well to improve your chances?

Andrew

PS I bet you're really missing the Wakefield weather - high winds & floods at the moment? :cry:
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

PPS - must learn to read - you've said it's direct sunlight - D'Oh
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

Chong

Post by Chong » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Andrew,
Thanks. This was done on 4x5 and full framed. I must say that I seldom carry the 8x10 these days. It's very hard to do any decent post processing scanning or printing here. I would still use it for b&w contact printing though.

The exposure was guesstimated and I did get some decent chromes. I did not use any movements but varied the focal lengths by playing with the focussing rail.

I am pleased with the picture considering it was my first outing trying the technique.

I do miss Wakefield but not the weather. It's summer here now and bright sunshine everydays. Scorching!!

Regards

Chong

buze

Post by buze » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Chong, that wierd reflection you get ( "flare" ?) is due to the fact the inside of the front of your camera is not perfectly mat black...

I was plagued with the problem on my self-made 4x5 pinhole until I experimented with painting half the inside with "blackboard black" paint...

Not that I MIND the effect of course, it's a great pinhole shot !

Chong

Post by Chong » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Buze,
Now that you have mentioned the caused of it, the plastic pinhole device that I mounted onto the lens board is glossy black. Thanks for that.

Regards

Chong