South Gare Lighthouse

If you want comments on your images.
TimH

South Gare Lighthouse

Post by TimH » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Folks - ok so this was taken on the last UKLF workshop. I've just started playing with real B&W film (this is delta 100) rather than a colour conversion. Shot was unfiltered and so low contrast. I played around quite a lot - deciding it was concrete and the hard gritty look suited. I'll be interested to see what you have to say Mr Twist as Nigel and I followed you round there :-)

South Gare Lighthouse, Teesmouth by Tim_Hodgson, on Flickr
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

Robert J Fallis

Re: South Gare Lighthouse

Post by Robert J Fallis » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:17 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I like
1 The strong diagonal
2 the texture and detail in the pier
3 that includes the shadow detail
4 the quality of the light in the sky.

so it looks like I'm going to get my train pass out. and have a look around

bob

Nigels
Forum Hero

Post by Nigels » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I like the strong lines in the shot and the way the eye is drawn the the end of the wall where the lighthouse makes a nice stopper. Not sure that the shot needs so much foreground though. The pattern on the wall adds to the shot and the notice half way along gives added interest. Overall the whole thing looks a bit dark as if the lighting conditions weren't a big help. The vignetting in the top corners seems a bit too strong to me and I'm sure the detail in the sky could be enhanced a bit. So, I like the overall arrangement but think some tweaks could improve it.
Regs, Nigels.
[User of Ebony 45SU + 58, 80, 150 & 270 mm Lenses, and all the essential bits]
"He wears the sweeping landscape in the crystal of his eye."

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Tim,
Great to see you posting this. Clearly it's a great location 8)
For me the strongest part has to be the blocks of paint leading in to the picture and towards the light house. I would work to emphasise that. I agree with Nigel's comment about the top left vignetting being too obvious. I would make the wall with the paint blocks brighter mainly, then see if the tone & contrast needs tweaking elsewhere to draw the eye in to the #1 feature.
HTH.
Regards,
Charles

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:I agree with Nigel's comment about the top left vignetting being too obvious
Yes, that idea is symptomatic of too much French influence; where "art" photography seems to have to be dark and brooding. :? :P Seriously though, it looks like a Photoshopped vignette rather than an artefact of the camera setup.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

TimH

Post by TimH » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Folks - thanks to those of you who critiqued the shot. I've tried to rework with your input in mind. I'm surprised how much more detail / contrast you can drag out of B&W neg compared to Velvia. Thanks Tim.

lighthouse - reworked by Tim_Hodgson, on Flickr
Digi-snapper now (finally) turned LF shooter hmm been doing this long enuff - Now LF photog !

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim, if you are happy with sending a neg through the post, I would be happy to scan it and post the result, then send you back the file with instructions on how to maximise what's there :)

If you don't fancy sending the neg, I can arrange an ftp drop on my server where you can send a full range scan.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tim

a very good piece of work (imho) and as Charles has said, ones eye is led from right to left etc - this sort of approach is often used to good effect - I feel it will work just as well if the image was cropped/split between the lighthouse and the sign on the harbour wall

regards

andrew

TimH

Post by TimH » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna Carter wrote:Tim, if you are happy with sending a neg through the post, I would be happy to scan it and post the result, then send you back the file with instructions on how to maximise what's there :)

If you don't fancy sending the neg, I can arrange an ftp drop on my server where you can send a full range scan.

Hi Joanne - I did send you a pm (or I thought I did :lol: ) regarding sending you the neg but I'm not sure it arrived in your in-tray ? Since I took this I've taken a several more b&w shots - and I think I may have a problem or just not used to neg film. Now Its probably me OR poss. its the developers (Peak) - all my photos are completely flat contrast wise. If I scan 'raw' in Vuescan (which I'm happy to do with E6 tranny and am quite pleased with the results) and set appropriate black and white points - everything is still ultra low contrast.
I've bought an orange filter that I've yet to try but is this the norm for un-filtered B&W ??
PS I can post a negative scan of the following image I quite like if that helps :-

Swanage small pier by Tim_Hodgson, on Flickr

This has quite a steep contrast enhancing curve applied in Photoshop to get to this point and some processing on the sky - I'd rather get closer in-camera if possible.

thanks in advance tim....

Francesco Bosso

Post by Francesco Bosso » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tim, I want try to add something in this discussion.
I agree with some one and disagree with some other,
really I prefer the first post because the second is too clear and have many light areas
that are distractions from the focal point that in my opinion should be the lighthouse.
This is a powerful immage because the light and the diagonal, enhance attention on too much
things don't work well.
In my opinion the print can be improved, corners are too dark, need to reduce vignetting effect
but not totally cancel it, also need to balance right side with left they seam have different density,
finally I'd like lighthouse bit more white.
Good luck!

And sorry for my bad English
Francesco