The Old Man of Storr

If you want comments on your images.
Tony Lovell

The Old Man of Storr

Post by Tony Lovell » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This was my first trip to Skye in December 2006 and was my first shot of the week after a long walk from the car!
It was taken on my Wista 10 x 8 on HP5+ rated at 320ASA with deep tank development in ID11. I'm proposing to darkroom print the negative, but to put it up for comment I've scanned it on an Epson V750 flatbed. The image looks a bit dark on my screen but a print I've done from this scan looks just right with detail in the foreground shadows.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Tony,
The photo does appear a bit dark. Is it me or is the horizon not horizontal? Other than that, you've got a dramatic shot with a nice sky.
Have you sent me your pics to the webmaster address? If you have, I have not received them, in which case you might want to mail again.
Thanks,
Charles

Tony Lovell

The Old Man of Storr

Post by Tony Lovell » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles

I’m not able to see the photo I’ve posted but obviously you can!

Yes, it does look as if the sea runs down to the right, but it actually runs back around an island, (Rassay). I can assure you the camera was level…but it may be worth correcting when I print it out.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tony, I can't see the image either, just the img tag.

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:50 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I took the liberty of editing the link, so it works...

you had the following:
img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/147/3509 ... 42.jpg?v=0[/img]

The system does not recognise the image link if the link does not end in an image file name. I deleted the last four letters (?v=0), which fixed it.

I do Agree with Charles, it is a bit dark. However, I think on a large proper B&W print (nice fibre paper, slight selenium toning) it will be an extremely dramatic picture. The jpg can't do it justice.

Nice one!

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:24 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tony,

Just viewed your image, it is dark but does have a full range of tones and shadow detail on my monitor. Great image which will only be improved by traditional printing methods, well done.

Roger

keffs

Post by keffs » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tony,

A really good image. Not exactly the bog standard shot, and all the better for it. Lots of drama. What time of the day was it taken? I would guess mid-morning.

I think it has bags of potential in a "proper" print. Perhaps dodging the lower left a touch, but not too much. It is difficult to translate a scan to a print, so it might be fine anyway.

Also, perhaps cropping out the rock on the left, I think it would balance it a little better and emphasis the main subject a little more. Also it would take it a little bit away from the centre.

It does look as though the horizon is off, and although it isn't, I think it would be worth straightning it a bit anyway. I have taken the liberty of downloading it and just trying a few of these things.

Personally, I would be interested in anything more about your trip to Skye. I am off there in a few weeks, and so any more info/pics would be good.

Steve

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Tony. A great shot - I like it as it is ... dark, moody and full of drama. Sometimes I think its brave to produce a print that's not "proper" (thud as the cat lands in amongst the pigeons) :wink: Excellent!

Tony Lovell

The Old Man of Storr

Post by Tony Lovell » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the comments, it's good to get the feedback; my local club has few B&W workers and even fewer LF workers! Thanks for sorting out the link Masch, I’ll know next time.
I’ll obviously have to scan and save a lighter version for viewing so that you can see it! I always have a dark image on my screen to get a correct print, so I may need to get the screen calibrated.
Keffs, yes the shot was taken about 9.30 to 10.00. We started out walking at about 8.00 when it was just light. I took four sheets of film up the hill and took three shots, this was the first, the second has a beam of light between the rock pinicals on to the sea, but not such a dramatic sky overall and the last one was a bit flat, nice clouds, but no sun.
I’ll scan and post the second shot when I have the time.
I was tempted to cut off the rocks on the right when I was composing but the left hand side was empty without light on it as I was framing up and when the light came it was too brief to start reframing!
If your going in a few weeks I’d say the most important thing is to be prepared for the wind and rain…have something to go over your camera on the tripod so that you can keep it set up. We had horizontal sleet and snow just after this shot, I had to hold on to the camera on the tripod to stop it blowing over as it came through and as I did my bag was turned over and the contents spilled out!