Somerset Pictures

If you want comments on your images.
Guy

Somerset Pictures

Post by Guy » Sat May 13, 2006 6:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hope everyone is well - have been away for a while hence the radio silence - finished putting images together from Somerset

You could either take a look at them here:

http://www.guyaubertin.com/gallery10.htm

or download the protfolio (1.7mb) from here:

http://www.guyaubertin.com/Downloads/Somerset.pdf

Best wishes

Guy

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sun May 14, 2006 5:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

What is the vignetting due to on the bottom pictures? Is it the image circle dropping off because of a lot movement or of a very large format? Or was it added later for effect? If the former, what are the lenses and format? Just curious. Thanks,
Charles

Guy

Post by Guy » Sun May 14, 2006 7:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Those images were made with the Holga - a "toy" 6x6 film camera from China. It has a fixed F8 plastic lens. It gives the images a very unique look (you never know what you are going to get), there are 4 focusing positions on the lens from 3ft (well sort of) to infinity..the lens can be adjusted to F8 or F16 and the shutter speed is 1/100th. The viewfinder is just a plastic square. Technically it is not true large format but it is a lot of fun in this digital age - you just have to relax all the regular "rules" you might have on photography and concentrate on forming an image, with no guarantee that you'll get it anyway...! :lol:

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Guy wrote:(you never know what you are going to get)
Well this part I don't like! I take my art very seriously and I wanna know what I got!
Second, I thought that this site is "The UK Large Format Photography Forum" And any holga not describe that criteria! :?:

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

uraniumnitrate wrote:
Guy wrote:(you never know what you are going to get)
Well this part I don't like! I take my art very seriously and I wanna know what I got!
In that case, it would also be very nice if folks didn't use aliases on this discussion group. Most of us are very nice people to get to know and it would be so nice to see people's real names, then we would know what we have got 8)
uraniumnitrate wrote:Second, I thought that this site is "The UK Large Format Photography Forum" And any holga not describe that criteria! :?:
Guy is very well qualified to be a part of this group; he takes 4x5 pictures; he can also use toys as well if he wishes :lol:

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Point 1: Hear! Hear!
Point 2: whaddyamean "most of us are nice folk"?
Charles

uraniumnitrate
Forum Hero

Post by uraniumnitrate » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

[/quote]
In that case, it would also be very nice if folks didn't use aliases on this discussion group. Most of us are very nice people to get to know and it would be so nice to see people's real names, then we would know what [/quote]

Joanna!

Your wishes is just about to come through! I have sent over a couple images to Charles and I pointed out that he should put my real name on it as it is a little album with five images and also a link to my Swedish site! Now, I thought that was a little bit of early to go out! The alias I will keep as It’s a poison which my life it’s all about!
Now, I don’t wanna be a nice guy! I just wanna be fair and express my thoughts when viewing images! I don’t really care less if it’s coming from God!
Also, it would be wrong for me to put up a lot’s of images here taken with a 35 mm camera!
However many of my best images made with that camera as I begin with a 35 mm Nikon with only one 20mm lens on it! Even today I walk around with it every day as it’s easy to carry with me! I figured that one image a day are better than no image at all! But if it’s an a LF site than you should show the works you made with that camera or larger!

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote: Point 2: whaddyamean "most of us are nice folk"?
Could she be possibly talking about someone dragging someone up the side of a mountain, nearly killing them in the process :)
(At least that is what was reported to me)

Guy, I like the pictures. The first image of Clevedon pier intrigues me. very early morning? long exposure?
I like that one a lot. Very... stark, but with a slight playfullness as well. (If this sounds pretentious or plain daft, I'm sorry, I'm not very good at expressing these things.)

The Holga stuff actually fits into the rest quite well.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Guy

Post by Guy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:23 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello all - glad to see that the site is progressing so well, work commitments have made things difficult for me in doing much in the way of photography of late - that will change over the next few months

With regard to the image of Clevedon pier that was made on the workshop whilst waiting for the sun that never set. It was taken with my Technikarden on a 90mm lens, Fuji Acros 100 exposed at 50 F32@4sec. The print on photorag using the Quad Tone RIP is stunning.

For those of you who were there you may recall that the sea mist never lifted all day! The image was taken with this in mind - the shape of the pier is amplified by the position of my camera and the lack of form in the sky just exagerates the mood of the image.

Yes the holga is not large format but the lack of rigid parameters help me to use the LF when I return to it. I think that once we master the art of using a LF camera our journey moves towards being able to "see" This then was the concern here and this is what the holga does - I intentionally set about creating a small portfolio of images that related to each other as opposed to the sometimes randomness of a number of images of different locations put up for viewing. Joanna's recent study of the Baths are exactly what I am talking about.

Setting out with the idea of creating a mini project is hard work but substantially more appealing than getting just one image.

For those who think the Holga is just a "toy" they should try it... :wink:

Here is one of my more recent efforts - underneath another pier - but further north here http://www.guyaubertin.com/gallery2.htm and have a look at Whitby Pier 2

Guy

Mark Pope

Post by Mark Pope » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Guy,

some very interesting images. I do like the Clevedon pier image. It has a lovely tonal range.
The Holga pics are quite fun and disturbing. Good stuff!

All the best
Mark Pope,
Swindon,
Wilts
UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk