First efforts...

If you want comments on your images.
Paul Mitchell

First efforts...

Post by Paul Mitchell » Sun May 11, 2008 11:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thought I would post some of my first LF images. They were all taken the other weekend down on the Suffolk coast using my Chamonix 45N-1 and Velvia 100. On the whole I'm relatively pleased with the results but some contain obvious user errors. Saying that they have helped me enormously to understand the whole LF process and, as they say, you only learn through making mistakes. Would appreciate some of the more experienced LF'ers thoughts?

Southwold Pier - taken with a Super Angulon 90mm f5.6, Velvia 100, 0.3 Soft Grad & warm up filters. On reflection I should have used a 0.6 hard grad and given it half a stop less.

Old Buoys - taken with a Symmar 180mm f5.6, Velvia 100, no filters. I quite like the dark moodiness of this composition but could have benefitted from half a stop more...

Old Ropes - while taking the old buoys above I noticed the wonderful colours and textures in the ropes, this is my favourite of the set. Symmar 180mm f5.6, Velvia 100, no filters. I stopped down to f45 to get as much DOF as I could but there are still soft areas.

Old Shack - taken with a Symmar 180mm f5.6, Velvia 100, no filters. I'm happy with this but just an exercise in colour and texture really.

Old Wheel - taken with a Symmar 180mm f5.6, Velvia 100, no filters. Again the shape, colours and textures appealed to me but was disappointed with the fact that it isn't pin sharp within the wheel rim, was taken at f32, perhaps should have stopped down more.

Thanks for looking

Paul
Last edited by Paul Mitchell on Wed May 14, 2008 3:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul, thanks for the insight into what the area may have to offer; although I note you didn't mention the exact co-ordinates of the tripod holes :wink:

I would agree that the buoys are definitely a tad under-exposed, as witnessed by the noise in the shadows when scanning. I would have thought that you should have had enough DOF on the shots you mention but possibly, you could have used the tiniest bit of movement to improve on that.

Apart from that, I like your eye for a picture and look forwards to seeing some more. Are you sure you aren't available at all between next Wednesday and Sunday?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon May 12, 2008 4:39 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul,

If those are your first LF images, well done! Great effort. Keep it up.

A few comments. The pier has a little too much water foreground. I'd think making the rocks more prominent, i.e. coming closer in, would make for a more interesting image. Otherwise you have too many things to look at....

Yep, the Buoys are a bit dark. But it's nothing that can't be fixed in post. Same with maybe a tad more contrast and a n idea more saturation.

The ropes are great. I really like them. Again, maybe a little more saturation in post just to bring out the colours.

I see no easy way to improve the shack image. I like the contrast of the roof and the wood :)

The wheel.... It looks a little bit flat to me. So a good bit more contrast (You can never have too much contrast...) and maybe playing with the colour temperature of the image as a whole to warm it up a little? There's some really nice orange/brown rust in there, but it doesn't really come out well.

Just my 2p. :)

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Mon May 12, 2008 12:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for all the encouragement, it's going to be a steep learning curve but I think an enjoyable one! Unfortunately I don't think my scanner has brought out the best from these trannies, I'm currently using an Epson 3200 but am going to see if a friend of mine will scan them on his Flextight.

Someone has suggested to me that using Polaroids would be an aid to setting up shots etc., does anyone here concur? if so what would be the best film type to use.

Marc - Agree about too much foreground on the pier image, will try and get closer to the rocks next time.

Joanna - Sorry but I can't make it to Suffolk while you're there, it's a great pity as it would be nice to put a face to a name. I will be there from 25th - 30th though.

Best regards

Paul

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Paul and Welcome!
I like your pictures - lovely colours.
You're right that the pier needs a stronger grad just overlapping on the top of the pier cabins, and that the second is under by a good 1/2 stop. The ropes are well observed and I felt would benefit from an extra 1/3 stop. Did you have to take bellows extension into account? I am not quite sure how big the scene is. If you are dealing with exposure compensation for macro, you also need to bear in mind that the optimal aperture is not the smallest (biggest f/number) due to some physics I fail to understand. In fact, I apply exposure compensation by opening the aperture in order to more or less follow the optimum. Let me know if that confuses you and I'll try again.
Last picture is really interesting, not least because of the plant. Does anybody here know what it is? I have been wanting to know for several years now; although common, no-one seems to have a name. Thank you.
Charles