WTB - Tripod fro Pentax 6x7

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Matthew Rolfe

WTB - Tripod fro Pentax 6x7

Post by Matthew Rolfe » Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have just purchased a Pentax 6x7 and I am looking to buy a tripod specifically for it. I am on a bit of a budget so what I'm looking for is a secondhand tripod that is fairly lightweight, whilst giving enough stability, but it doesn't need to be in great condition. As long as it at least works ok and it's fairly light, I'm not bothered at all about the cosmetic condition.

The more 'bruised and battered' the better... :wink:

Matthew

patawauke

Re: WTB - Tripod fro Pentax 6x7

Post by patawauke » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Matthew

I have the same camera, and my advice is to get the heaviest tripod and sturdiest head you can live with for it. You will end up taking many shots at slow shutter speeds below 1/60, when mirror bounce and shutter vibration can reduce sharpness, unless tethered to a heavy head/tripod combination (especially look at the head). Also, if you use a 200 or especially 300 lens, all but the toughest of heads will tend to slip under the moments of their weight. I chose the Dutchhill surveyor type Protech P900 with Arca Swiss B1 head, and that holds it. For light travel, I use a Gitzo 3-series monopod, but only with shorter lenses. With a long lens, if it's windy, the pod shakes like a leaf (I intend to get the big 5-series pod because of this). Just my advice. Enjoy the Pentax 6x7, it's great to use!

Acheron Photography

Post by Acheron Photography » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd second that. The 67 needs a more robust tripod than some LF setups, not less. The mirror slap at speeds around a 15th means that you really want something that is both rigid and (sorry) heavy. I have a high end Gitzo, and have never regretted the decision - I hang my bag from the centre pole to add weight and try to avoid shooting between a 30th and a 1/4. That _might_ not be necessary, and some definitely claim that it isn't, but my view is better safe than sorry. It's a great camera otherwise though, and some of the lenses are wonderfully sharp.

Matthew Rolfe

Post by Matthew Rolfe » Tue May 25, 2010 7:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I will follow the advice you have both given. I already own a sturdy tripod I used for 5x4 and 10x8, I may just hang on to it now.

Thanks