WTB: Nikon 200mm M f/8

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Rod

WTB: Nikon 200mm M f/8

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has one of these in very good condition that they are desperate to part with? :D

I'm thinking of using it not just as a lightweight normal lens, but also as a "long" 5x4 macro lens for plant photography. I do already have a 120mm macro lens, but on many occasions it's almost impossible to position the camera because it's too close to the subject - or I'm nearly underground :( . I'll use it with a "top hat" and extension back on my Ebony 45S so I'll have enough bellows extension for 1:1, just. I'd consider a longer true macro lens if it weren't for the cost!

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.

Regards,

Rod.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: WTB: Nikon 200mm M f/8

Post by Thingy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They're like gold dust Rod. I'm hoping Jenny eventually sells me hers, but I'm no.2 on the waiting list! :roll:
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They're like gold dust......
Hi,
Thanks for the good news! I knew they were not that common, but didn't realise they'd achieved cult status. I've more or less given up trying to find one and decided to go for a 210mm G-Claron instead. However, these are f/9 and as I'll probably use it more for macro than anything else I'm now thinking it may not be bright enough to focus easily at 1:1. Firstly, I guess I should try using my existing Rodenstock 210mm set at f/9 to see how easy that is to focus at 1:1. But then I seem to be getting some promising preliminary results from using the Rodenstock as a macro lens anyway, so perhaps I'll just stick with this.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure :).
Regards,
Rod.

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I bet the difference in brightness between 200/8 and 210/9 is negligable on the glass. Its only a third of a stop, difference in length notwithstanding.

Rod

Post by Rod » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I bet the difference in brightness between 200/8 and 210/9 is negligable on the glass. Its only a third of a stop, difference in length notwithstanding.
Thanks Dave,
My fault for confusing the issue :$ . I really meant the difference between the Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 I'm using at present and either an f/8 or f/9 alternative. Having had a quick look today, focusing at 1:1 stopped down to f/9 isn't really a problem if the light's OK. Trouble is, I find the most difficult aspect of outdoor macro photography is the wind and waiting for it to stop - usually first thing in the morning or late evening when the light's fading :( .
Regards,
Rod.

acs

Post by acs » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

:cry: Have to pass on this so best someone here gets the chance...

http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format- ... 1527N?r=FE
_______
Andrew

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Have to pass on this so best someone here gets the chance...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info. I saw this advertised last Sunday and was seriously considering it, but have now decided not to go for it. With carriage and duty/taxes it works out at ~£425, the price of a new 210mm G-Claron, so if I decide to buy a lens I'll probably go for the latter.

I'm sure "Thingy" will be interested in this gold dust though :)

Regards,

Rod.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod wrote:
Have to pass on this so best someone here gets the chance...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info. I saw this advertised last Sunday and was seriously considering it, but have now decided not to go for it. With carriage and duty/taxes it works out at ~£425, the price of a new 210mm G-Claron, so if I decide to buy a lens I'll probably go for the latter.

I'm sure "Thingy" will be interested in this gold dust though :)

Regards,

Rod.

Oooooo.... how tempting.... however I am still recovering from buying a Cooke earlier this year :mrgreen: :oops:

If you are interested in macrophotography I can recommend Schneider's very small & lightweight (mounted in a Copal 0 shutter) 120mm/f5.6 Makro Symmar HM, which is exceptionally sharp, and easier to obtain than the equally excellent Nikkor macro lens. I bought mine secondhand from Robert White. If interested in a secondhand lens I should contact them directly rather than simply look at their secondhand sales on their website. The one I bought wasn't advertised on the website! I use it in conjunction with a Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 focussing screen, which makes focussing MUCH easier! :lol:

120mm/f5.6 Makro Symmar HM
details: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.as ... &PT_ID=370
specifications: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pdf/foto/sr_ma.pdf

Maxwell focussing screens

Bill Maxwell
Maxwell Precision Optics
PO Box 33146
Decatur GA 30033-0146 USA

Phone:

Code: Select all

+404-244-0095
E-mail: maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you are interested in macrophotography I can recommend Schneider's very small & lightweight (mounted in a Copal 0 shutter) 120mm/f5.6 Makro Symmar HM, which is exceptionally sharp, and easier to obtain than the equally excellent Nikkor macro lens. I bought mine secondhand from Robert White. If interested in a secondhand lens I should contact them directly rather than simply look at their secondhand sales on their website. The one I bought wasn't advertised on the website! I use it in conjunction with a Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 focussing screen, which makes focussing MUCH easier!
Hi Thingy (Guess you must have another name :?),

Many thanks for the recommendations. I do already have a 120mm Rodenstock Macro-Sironar and a Maxwell HI-LUX focussing screen, but am perverse enough to want a lightweight 210mm macro-style lens, so that I can photograph plants/flowers at around 1:1 or larger without sitting inside the flower :lol:. There's obviously the dedicated 180mm macro lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock, but these are too heavy/expensive. I always try to make life as difficult as possible for myself :crazy:.

Regards,

Rod.

acs

Post by acs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I remember a few people were after one of these... Another Nikkor 200 for sale on Large Format Photography ($500) http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ ... hp?t=70444

(No connection to seller)
_______
Andrew

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the link. My apologies that I haven't said in this thread that I have indeed obtained a Nikkor 200mm, and from a member of our forum - David Evans. As with the other items I've got from David, it is in superb condition.

I still can't quite believe how small and light this lens is. It's also very easy to view/focus - all my other other lenses are f/5.6 so I was a bit concerned about this, but it's absolutely no problem. I've now used the lens a couple of times and the trannies look really good under the loupe :D .

Initially I was wanting a 200mm lens mainly to use around the home/garden as a macro lens, but this is definitely one for the backpack :) .

Thnaks again David for a great lens.

Regards,

Rod.

acs

Post by acs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod wrote:...I have indeed obtained a Nikkor 200mm, and from a member of our forum - David Evans. As with the other items I've got from David, it is in superb condition.
No problem and glad to hear you found a nice one. I have the impression a few people were looking so maybe someone else will be be tempted :)

Andrew

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod wrote:Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the link. My apologies that I haven't said in this thread that I have indeed obtained a Nikkor 200mm, and from a member of our forum - David Evans. As with the other items I've got from David, it is in superb condition.

I still can't quite believe how small and light this lens is. It's also very easy to view/focus - all my other other lenses are f/5.6 so I was a bit concerned about this, but it's absolutely no problem. I've now used the lens a couple of times and the trannies look really good under the loupe :D .

Initially I was wanting a 200mm lens mainly to use around the home/garden as a macro lens, but this is definitely one for the backpack :) .

Thnaks again David for a great lens.

Regards,

Rod.
A pleasure Rod, and Happy New Year to you, and to everyone else on the forum.
David