WTB: Schneider G-Claron 210mm f/9

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Rod

WTB: Schneider G-Claron 210mm f/9

Post by Rod » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,
No luck in finding a Nikon 200mm M f/8 that I was looking for, so I thought I’d try a search for one of these instead. At least they’re more readily available – I think.
Looking for one in very good/mint condition if possible.
Regards,
Rod.

IanG
Forum Hero

Re: WTB: Schneider G-Claron 210mm f/9

Post by IanG » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You might want to also look out for the late black version of the Schneider 210mm f5.6 Xenar, these were made in the 70's and 80's and revived again in the late 1990's early 2000's. Robert White sold quite a few in the UK they were quite inexpensive, I think he bought the remaining stock from Schneider.

These f5.6 Xenar's were slightly better than the earlier f4.5 versions, smaller and in a Copal 1 rather than a Copal 3 shutter, coverage is a couple of degrees less than a G Claron, the sizes are about the same but the Xenar is optimised as a camera lens and is a good stop faster.

Ffordes have a Rodenstock ???? G Claron for £299

Ian

Matt_Bigwood
Forum Hero

Post by Matt_Bigwood » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:20 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've got a very near mint late model G Claron 240mm F9 if that is any interest - drop me a PM.

Matt

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

You might want to also look out for the late black version of the Schneider 210mm f5.6 Xenar, these were made in the 70's and 80's and revived again in the late 1990's early 2000's. Robert White sold quite a few in the UK they were quite inexpensive, I think he bought the remaining stock from Schneider.

These f5.6 Xenar's were slightly better than the earlier f4.5 versions, smaller and in a Copal 1 rather than a Copal 3 shutter, coverage is a couple of degrees less than a G Claron, the sizes are about the same but the Xenar is optimised as a camera lens and is a good stop faster.

Ian
Many thanks Ian, I'm not familiar with that lens, but it certainly sounds like an option. The reason I was looking specifcally for a G-Claron was that I probably want to use it more as a macro lens than a normal one and, on the basis that the G-Clarons were originally designed as process lenses, I assume that they would be a great option as a macro lens - bellows extension permitting. Someone please correct me if my assumptions are not well founded - they're often not!

I do have a dedicated macro lens, the Rodenstock 120mm Apo-Macro-Sironar, which is a superb lens, but in many cases I find the focal length too short for comfortable camera set-up positions and the perspective also seems too steep sometimes. I know this seems to be the standard focal length for a 5x4 macro - presumably to avoid having excessive bellows extension - but I would prefer something longer, hence the search for a suitable 210mm option. I have been doing a few tests with my 210mm Sironar-N, but it's a bit unwieldy at 1:1 mounted on a top-hat panel and using an extension back on my Ebony 45S. A lighter lens would worry me less and the Sironar-N doesn't appear to be regarded as a great lens these days. Having said all that, I've just had a couple of transparencies processed today and they look very acceptable.

I actually ordered the 210mm G-Claron from Ffordes last week, but returned it the same day. The lens was quite old, but the shutter looked even older. The Compur shutter was completely open at the rear showing the exposed mechanism. They said this was normal, but I was unhappy with it so returned the lens. Contrary to earlier posts on the forum I had always had very good items from Ffordes in the past, albeit quite expensive sometimes.

Regards,

Rod.

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've got a very near mint late model G Claron 240mm F9 if that is any interest - drop me a PM.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Many thanks for the offer, but I really need the 210mm as I intend mainly using it as a macro lens and I don't have the bellows extension to reach 1:1 using a 240mm lens. Please have a look at my earlier posting for further details.

Regards,

Rod.

gary mulder

Post by gary mulder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If a new one is a option
At www.greiner-photo.com there is one for 400,- euro excl VAT

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod wrote:

Ian
Many thanks Ian, I'm not familiar with that lens, but it certainly sounds like an option. The reason I was looking specifcally for a G-Claron was that I probably want to use it more as a macro lens than a normal one and, on the basis that the G-Clarons were originally designed as process lenses, I assume that they would be a great option as a macro lens - bellows extension permitting. Someone please correct me if my assumptions are not well founded - they're often not!

I do have a dedicated macro lens, the Rodenstock 120mm Apo-Macro-Sironar, which is a superb lens, but in many cases I find the focal length too short for comfortable camera set-up positions and the perspective also seems too steep sometimes. I know this seems to be the standard focal length for a 5x4 macro - presumably to avoid having excessive bellows extension - but I would prefer something longer, hence the search for a suitable 210mm option. I have been doing a few tests with my 210mm Sironar-N, but it's a bit unwieldy at 1:1 mounted on a top-hat panel and using an extension back on my Ebony 45S. A lighter lens would worry me less and the Sironar-N doesn't appear to be regarded as a great lens these days. Having said all that, I've just had a couple of transparencies processed today and they look very acceptable.

I actually ordered the 210mm G-Claron from Ffordes last week, but returned it the same day. The lens was quite old, but the shutter looked even older. The Compur shutter was completely open at the rear showing the exposed mechanism. They said this was normal, but I was unhappy with it so returned the lens. Contrary to earlier posts on the forum I had always had very good items from Ffordes in the past, albeit quite expensive sometimes.

Regards,

Rod.
Makes sense to get a G Claron for macro work, that's not a Xenar's forte I bought a 150mm G Claron last month it's the only modern coated lens that might fit my spare 9x12 Patent Etui, the smallest LF camera you'll ever see :D I'll be interested to test it while in the UK next moth.

Ffordes have gone very expensive on the equipment I know, I'm quite surprised at the prices and wouldn't buy. I've used Robert White a few times, but the problems is their descriptions, good condition - Like new :D Excellent - like how new can you get :mrgreen: also you need to call them as most LF second hand stuff goes fast before it hit's their website - they are superb and fair, best UK supplier by far. Teamwork aren't bad but not the same since the original owner died (? early - mid 90's).

No Compur shutter should be open at the rear, I have quite a number going back to pre-WWI through to the last & none have any openings.

You've been offered a 210 G Claron on the US LF site, remember you might get a 21% (approx) import tax +VAT on the value of the lens & shipping. I've only been hit for tax on the G Claron (I paid £60 and it's mint) and that's in around approx 12 similar transactions in the past years. It's a bit hit & miss.

Good luck.

Ian

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If a new one is a option
At http://www.greiner-photo.com there is one for 400,- euro excl VAT
Thanks Gary.
I wasn't aware they were still in production/available new and didn't know about http://www.greiner-photo.com til now.
Regards,
Rod.

Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Makes sense to get a G Claron for macro work, that's not a Xenar's forte I bought a 150mm G Claron last month ........

..........You've been offered a 210 G Claron on the US LF site, remember you might get a 21% (approx) import tax +VAT on the value of the lens & shipping. I've only been hit for tax on the G Claron (I paid £60 and it's mint) and that's in around approx 12 similar transactions in the past years. It's a bit hit & miss.

Good luck.

Ian
Thanks Ian for the additional advice. I haven't yet got a price from the offer on the US site - doubt it'll be £60 though :( .Unfortunately, I've been hit by full taxes on all my previous US transactions - must be unlucky I guess.
Regards,
Rod.

Marc Wilson
Forum Hero

Post by Marc Wilson » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

does anyone know the image circle on these schneider xenar 5.6 lenses?

Whilst looking out for a 240mm for a 10x8 I'm also looking at possible 210 options...the g-claron 210 apparently will just cover as most schneider image circle stats are less than the actual working figures...so perhaps the xenar may be the same?

Marc

IanG
Forum Hero

Post by IanG » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

The 210 f5.6 Xenar is a Tessar design so has no extra coverage, the image circle is 249mm @ f22. Not even close for 10x8 :shock:

Like all LF Tessar's it gives it's best sharpness at f22, edges and corners only really become reasonably good at f16. Used on a 5x4 you're mainly using the centre of the 210.

I do use Tessar's I have a 1950's CZJ 150mm f4.5 T coated, a remarkably good East German lens, and a modern black Xenar 150mm f5.6 I bought from Keeds off this forum a couple of years ago. Both lenses give remarkably good performance stopped down, but with little room for movements, he modern Xenar is smaller, and lighter.

Ian