WTB: Ebony Top Hat Extension/Parts

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Rod

WTB: Ebony Top Hat Extension/Parts

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Looking for 17mm and 35mm extension tubes and Copal 1 end panel, or alternatively a complete set including the square Linhof panel. I know they're available new at Robert Whites, but quite costly :(

Regards,

Rod.

Stephen Vaughan

Re: WTB: Ebony Top Hat Extension/Parts

Post by Stephen Vaughan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rod
I just bought a set of non-ebony extension tubes on *bay that offer variable lengths of extension and copal sizes at a very reasonable price.

The item number is 200457973001.

I don't have any connection with the seller, but I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just bought a set of non-ebony extension tubes on *bay that offer variable lengths of extension and copal sizes at a very reasonable price.

The item number is 200457973001.

I don't have any connection with the seller, but I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Hope this helps,
Stephen
Hi Stephen,
Excellent information, thanks. These look a really good buy compared with the Ebony ones. Just a couple of queries though having looked at the link. I can't tell from the photos whether they're made of aluminium or plastic - hopefully aluminium :) . Also, I assume that all the parts actually screw together? Some of the photos look as if the components are just a push-fit for assembly, but I'm sure this can't be the case.
Regards,
Rod.
PS Did you get done for import duty/VAT from China. I haven't ordered anything from there before, but I always end up paying duty/etc. from the US.

Stephen Vaughan

Post by Stephen Vaughan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rod
No charge so far, because it's quite a low price i guess.
The parts are all metal and screw together (threaded connection) in various combinations for different lengths of extension.
Cheers,
Stephen

Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks again Stephen. I'll order a set of these if I can't get hold of a S/H Ebony set at a reasonable price.
Regards,
Rod.

David Evans
Forum Hero

Post by David Evans » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I also bought a set on eBay from this person http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
All metal and good quality.
Also a helpful seller who will sell extra lens boards if you want them
David

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

David Evans wrote:I also bought a set on eBay from this person http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
All metal and good quality.
Also a helpful seller who will sell extra lens boards if you want them
Hi, I was wondering if you had any further thoughts on these now that you've had more time to use them? There's a rumour about an old guy with a white beard and a red suit due sometime soon, but I guess he'd need to get his orders in quite soon. :wink:

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, I was wondering if you had any further thoughts on these now that you've had more time to use them? There's a rumour about an old guy with a white beard and a red suit due sometime soon, but I guess he'd need to get his orders in quite soon.
Hi Peter,

I ordered a set of these about 6 weeks ago. They were shipped 2 days after payment and received about 2 weeks later. The package was marked externally with a value of 9US$, so I didn't have to pay any import duty/VAT :D . I'm not sure if this is their standard practice, or whether I was just lucky - it's the first time ever that I've not had to pay taxes/handling charges on imported goods :) .

Even if you have to pay taxes I still think they're very good value compared with the Ebony alternative. They are well machined/finished and substantially heavier than the Ebony ones. The only thing I could find any fault with whatsoever was a small area of the internal surface of one of the threaded parts that was shiny and not blacked, but 30 sec with a black marker pen solved that! So far, I've used them mainly on a 210 mm lens to get greater bellows extension for macro work with my Ebony 45S and they are very solid, even with all extension pieces fitted.

Before I bought the set I was thinking of making these myself, as I have the engineering equipment/capabilities to do so, but I'm glad I didn't. By the time I'd purchased the materials/etc. it simply wouldn't be worth it, and I'd have been happy to achieve the overall quality/finish of the Chinese parts.

Kind regards,

Rod.

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rod

Many thanks for this information, it has been very helpful. The modern day equivalent of a "letter to Santa" has been sent! :)