SOLD: Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

SOLD: Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner

Post by Paul Arthur » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm reluctantly selling my Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner (badged as a crosfield celsis). It scans up to 4000 dpi, without the need for interpolation.

It's in great condition and is fully working. It comes with a Apple G4 computer, monitor, and silverfast software for the high resolution scanning. Also with the scanner is a drum in great condition, a mounting station in pretty good condition, a whole stack of mounting plastic, tape, mounting fluid, drum and film cleaning fluids, half a box of cotton cloths for cleaning and a couple of spare drum belts.

The lamps inside have just been replaced, and the whole scanner has just been checked and calibrated in the last couple of weeks.

It's pretty much the best scanner for film up to 10x8. I'll gladly send you a sample of what it can do it you want to see.

I'm selling as I'm using it less and less. Pick up only from Birmingham, due to the size and weight of the thing, but I'll be on hand to help you load it. It will fit in the back of most normal cars with the seats down.

£1,100 for the whole lot.

Paul
http://www.paularthur.net
Last edited by Paul Arthur on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Astley

Re: FS: Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner

Post by Ray Astley » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,I would use it for scanning black and white negs,would you say it was as good as printing the neg from an enlarger? Can you send me some samples? Ray

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ray

It's a completely different beast really. You'll be able to get every single scrap of detail from the negatives with the scanner, and then you'll be able to make any adjustments you want on the computer, rather than by hand on the enlarger, so from that point of view it's a hell of a lot better.

Of course, the results you get depend entirely on how you process the scan on photoshop.

What samples would you like? 4,000 dpi scans from a 5x4 are well over 500mb, so I can't really show you a full scan, but I can show you a small full image and a 100% crop if that helps?

Full image

100% crop at 2000 dpi

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have seen the scanner in situ and know that Pete Slynn has looked at it recently so I know it's working fine. I'll also vouch for Paul who, despite living in Birmingham and thinking of turning into a digital person, is quite a nice chap. The price is also good and it comes with a host of useful extras. This is a 'hit the ground running' system.

As for whether it matches enlarging black and white, I would say that it will unless you have a Mamiya 7 or Hassleblad (or 35mm) used at the most optimum apertures. Many top end photographers in the US will openly say that achieving very large prints is a lot easier by scanning and printing than by enlarging (and you get sharper results). For smaller prints (2-4x enlargements) you may be better off with darkroom prints but I don't think anyone but an experienced technician would notice. You can also make digital negs for contact printing!!

Tim
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)