Tripods& heads

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Tom Green

Tripods& heads

Post by Tom Green » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

General recommended Tripods but mostly head types ? Cheers :mrgreen:
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

Dave Parkin

Post by Dave Parkin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have used Manfroto tripods for a number of years, an old 055 which has given stirling service for at least 10 years and a recently acquired 058 (more stable and easier to use but a lot heavier).

The current head used is a Manfroto 410 geared head as this gives the ability to precisely position the camera. Can be a little slow to use in the field but is rock solid and reasonably light weight. I sometimes use a manfroto ball and socket head for 35mm and medium format work.

Dave

Tom Green

Tripods and Heads

Post by Tom Green » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Dave for your info.Tom :mrgreen:
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My choice is a Manfroto 75b which I use with 029 head for all cameras from Hasselblads to 10x8s without any problems. One advantage of the type 75 is that it is possible to set the camera at a very low level with the tripod legs splade out, very useful.

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

A second vote for the Manfrotto 410 "Jnr" Geared Head. Excellent head, very precise adjustments, I couldn't imagine using anything else for my large format. I also use it for my *gasp* DSLR... :oops:

I used to have Manfrotto 190 Pro legs, but I sold them on and bought the 055 legs, as they're taller and bring the camera up to eye level meaning I may not have to stoop so much :wink: About a year ago I think, Manfrotto updated the range, and the 055 now comes with two "leg-warmers" as standard, and a removeable centre column ( whilst leaving head still attached ), which helps reduce the weight slightly, as I never use it anyway.

I looked at the Carbon Fibre version, the MF3/4 of the 055, but decided it wasn't worth the money. It's nearly twice the price of the regular 055, and the weight difference was little more than 1lb iirc. For that kind of money, I'd go on a diet and lose 2 lbs, and be better off :wink:

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I would add another vote for the 410 head although the 329 comes in a very close second. I am selling a MN329RC4 if anyone is interested.
DJ wrote:I looked at the Carbon Fibre version, the MF3/4 of the 055, but decided it wasn't worth the money. It's nearly twice the price of the regular 055, and the weight difference was little more than 1lb iirc. For that kind of money, I'd go on a diet and lose 2 lbs, and be better off :wink:
The less the tripod weighs, the less it interferes with the results of too many tearoom visits :lol:

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

DJ wrote:I looked at the Carbon Fibre version, the MF3/4 of the 055, but decided it wasn't worth the money. It's nearly twice the price of the regular 055, and the weight difference was little more than 1lb iirc. For that kind of money, I'd go on a diet and lose 2 lbs, and be better off :wink:
I had the 055MF3 - and yes it is lighter, but it's no way near as rigid. It also has some very serious design flaws, obviously it's been built down to a price. I really didn't like using the tripod with the legs spread anything more than out of the first stop. The leg catches were overly fiddly, and required constant tightening.

The leg of my 055 MF3 collapsed and it almost dropped my SW45 in to Lochan na h`Achlaise, due to what I believe was a simple design flaw. I actually repaired the tripod myself as it was cheaper buying the pieces than covering the postal costs to and from the Manfrotto service centre...

I've sold the 055MF3 on the Bay of e now, and have purchased a Gitzo 1325. If you'vw never worked with a Gitzo I thoroughly recommend trying one. The 1325 weighs a smidgen over 2Kg, the same as the 055MF3, but in terms of stability it's in a completely different ballpark, even to an Aluminium 055.

Yes, it is over twice the price of an 055, but I actually feel that this is well worth it in the long term, it certainly feels like it's going to last a lot longer than the Manfrottos. Plus it's a work of tripodular art too ;)

And here's yet another vote for the 410 geared head, it allows such fine control over your positioning.

Tom - I'll have the Gitzo with the 410 on it, an 055CL and a 190Pro with assorted heads along with me when we meet in March, you're welcome to evaluate these if you so wish.