looking for an entry level LF camera kit

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Richie Hall

looking for an entry level LF camera kit

Post by Richie Hall » Tue May 23, 2006 7:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

i am looking for a LF camera kit that would suit somebody who has only done photography for a year, you may say LF isnt for someone who is just starting out however, i figure they only way i will learn or gain experience through failing is to actually get a camera and get in them thar hills.

I am looking on the proverbial Ebay as i guess this would be your first answer but would love some advice on what to look out for. Dont mind weight etc, as i used to be a squaddie in a former life and love lugging packs about.

regards,

Richie Hall

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Tue May 23, 2006 7:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Next time we go to Wales, I'll get you to carry Steve Bell's bag then... :wink:
Seriously, a reasonable kit is 15kg, before you start on food, water, clothes, etc... :( Think about how far you want to yomp and that will determine a lot of things like bag configuration, weight and volume of kit.
You want the weight on top really for longer distances. Many bags only allow you to strap the tripod on the back not on the top. You may also want to consider space for non-camera things and how easily accessible the camera should be. (Remember to separate water and camera stuff!)
If you can afford it, quickload film is lighter, smaller and not prone to dust.
How much do you want to spend on the camera? Does it have to be folding? What lens focal lengths do you use most commonly? How many lenses do you want? Plus light-meter, tripod, dark-cloth and filters. Optionally, a roll-film holder. That lot should slow you down...
Charles

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed May 24, 2006 10:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I think it would be a good idea to have a page where newcomers can glean some info. Could the good samaritans on this list add to what I have written below? Thanks,
Charles

Prices: folding view camera: £350-450 for a good'un; lenses: £200 each for a decent modern lens (the lenses hold well the test of time; the shutters are the problem); spotmeter: £100-200; dark slides: £5-10 each. Dark cloth and bag you can compromise on and look around. I don't think it's worth spending £££s on those but you may have different views. I have a reputation for DIY and holding my kit together with shoelaces, so maybe not the right person to talk to. It's a question of attitude and what you prefer. Filters: do you shoot B&W or colour? Lee filter system is excellent; Lee filters are also excellent; I am told Formatt filters are similar quality and cheaper - worth checking. Tripod: carbon fibre is expensive and saves you approx 1kg over aluminium.
Notes on body: some folk here use the Wista VX which looks very similar to the Toyo. Ebony would blow your budget. New bellows are £100-150. New glass: check with Paul Owen. Other spare parts can be hard to source for older cameras. Generally worth spending a little bit more for a camera that you can resell should you change your mind.
Notes on lenses: decent makes that will hold their value better: Schneider-Kreuznach, Rodenstock, Nikkor, in order of price pretty well. SK: up to 120mm, go for super angulons, beyond go for symmar (in order of increasing age and decreasing price: apoSymmar L, apoSymmar, Symmar S, and Symmar). Rodenstock: don't know them, but apo-sironar N is excellent apparently. Sironar N are identical but older. Nikkor: I know nothing but the 90mmf4.5 is legendary (approx £400 second-hand) and the 300mmf9 is very sharp and quite reasonably priced.
Final remarks: shops (second hand: MXV, Teamwork photo, etc) are 1.5 times the price of Ebay, and not keeping up with the gradual decrease in price. As the number of LF users decreases, so do the prices. It's hard to predict the future value of these beasts. The cameras have unique abilities which will always be attractive to somebody somewhere, but if the pool of users decreases, who knows?

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue May 30, 2006 7:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Richie - welcome to the loony bin :lol:

The easiest way to buy a LF set-up is to ask yourself the following questions:

1. What focal length lenses do you use at present - do you tend towards wide lenses or are you a general "all rounder" (some cameras are designed with particular focal length lenses in mind).

2. Do you want a metal camera or a wooden one - this is purely a personal preference. Some love wood - others loathe them!

3. What sort of photography do you plan on doing - studio or outdoor stuff, this can make a difference to the type of camera as some are fine indoors but too heavy to lug up and down hill and dale.

4. Finally ... your budget. You need to allow for a camera, lens(s), meter, tripod, film holders (either darkslides or Quickloads), and a few bits and bobs.

Ebay has some excellent buys - but not too many bargains any more! If you go the Ebay/used route then you may find yourself waiting several months to get an outfit together.

There are dealers in the UK who have stocks of LF gear. Robert White (not much used stock at the moment), MXV, FFordes, Teamwork spring to mind. Buying used from a dealer means more cash but at least you get a warranty.

As for thinking that you're (photographically) too young for a move to LF - rubbish!

Best of luck and please feel free to pick the brain cells on this forum!

Regards Paul

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue May 30, 2006 7:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

As an idea of prices to pay:

Wista 45DX wooden camera - £450 on Ebay, £500 dealer
Toyo 45A metal field camera - £500 on Ebay, £600 dealer

Modern 150mm 5.6 lens - £200 on Ebay, £250 dealer
Modern 90mm F8 lens - £290 on Ebay, £325 dealer
Modern 210mm 5.6 lens - £250 on Ebay, £299 dealer

Quickload holders - £60 Ebay, £100 dealer (new)
Polaroid 545 back - £50 Ebay, £120 dealer (new)

Word of advice - don't buy a Shen Hao! Cheap but not cheerful.
Beware of older metal monorails too - parts can be a nightmare to find (even lens panels can be tricky!).

If money is no object then ...

Ebony RW45E - £1300 or there abouts (excellent all rounder)
Ebony RSW - £1000 (but a wide angle camera) ... both new!

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Richie, I have a crowm graphic that I am toying with moving on, it has a couple of lenses,90 &135 plus a spare board, Polaroid pack film back and I can put some film holders in to get you going, maybe even a lightmeter. If you are interested PM me and I can let you know exactly what I have, pics etc.
Any doubts and I am sure there will be plenty of useful advice and insight from the folks here abouts.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Richie Hall

Hi Gari

Post by Richie Hall » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Gari,

yes i would be interested in your offer, please send pics etc so i can have a look, as i said i am very new to photography as a whole so usability would have to factor however, the delightful mister Twist has very kindly offered to show me the ropes as we live very close to each other.

Could you let me know how much you would want for the items listed.

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Richie, I just went outside to get some pics as the light in my place is pretty crap, got savaged by midges, I shall take some pics and post later if I can find my digicam!
I have had a dig and found a graphmatic 6 sheet filmholder and a westonV meter, not great but it works.
Not sure what the post would be but I can sort that tomorrow. I don't know how much of a newbie you are but for info the Crown Graphic a Graflok back, non rotating, and movements are front tilt, shift and rise only. It has its original case, paperwork and book etc including the DOF guides. It is a press camera so has a rangefinder with the cams for the lenses(not sure how much use it will be but you can use it handheld!!)
The lenses are all ok speed wise etc.
The camera itself is in excellent condition, no marks, bellows lightight bed and tracks spotless and working fine.

I have a Lowepro phototrekker classic around here somewhere, if you want the lot I can let it go for £450+postage, I imported this from the US and got caned for VAT so I need to cover that really. I was sitting on it with a view to put a 617 back on it and get some lenses to cover the format but as yet haven't got around to it, also I would rather someone get some use out of it.
I suggest you ask around as to the movements you will need etc, assuming you know what you will be wanting to shoot. I am in no rush to sell so take your time and make sure you know what you want/need
Gari

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have tried to email but I can't get the link to work, not sure uploading images to the forum is the thing to do, not to mention I am not sure how to do it!!
my email is garibeet@btinternet.com. send me a mail and I shall send images by return.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Richie, tried to reply to your latest email, again with a mailer deamon message, PMed and texted your cell phone both with no reply. Do you have another email address I can try to send some pics too? not sure what else I can do!
cheers
Gari

Richard Kelham

Post by Richard Kelham » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ritchie

Have you considered an MPP Micro-technical. Its a sort of UK clone of the Linhof and built like a tank. They come up quite frequently on fleabay – best bet is a MkVIII which you should be able to get for GBP200 or so, sometimes with an elderly 150mm Xenar thrown in. Perfectly good as long as the shutter works and the glass is clean! The camera has a revolving International back which is quite handy…