WTB - 67mm IR Filter

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Steve Bell

WTB - 67mm IR Filter

Post by Steve Bell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Looking for a Heliopan 715 67mm IR filter. I can't buy new from anywhere in the UK, have tried Retrophotographic, Morco and the importer Teamwork, no stock. Required for Rollei IR film.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve,

Try Calumet. I seem to recall them having a large number of different filters at a time.

If your heart doesn't hang on the Heliopan specifically, they can get the B+W and Wratten long-pass filters, depending on the wavelength you are looking for.
Wratten 89B (50% is at 700nm), would be ideal, a Wratten 87 (50% @ 790nm) at a pinch.
Alternatively, Hoya 72 or B+W 92 works as well (As Wratten 89B).

Then there is the Wratten 87C which cuts of at 850nm, which is probably a bit extreme...

You may be able to get hold of the old Ilford SFX gel filter which cuts at 680 or 700nm or so, IIRC. Some Jessops stores (Argh!) may still have them in stock. They were available mounted as Cokin A and P sizes.

Hope this helps.

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll try Calumet in the morning.

The Heliopan 715 gives the strongest IR effect with the Rollei IR film. The 89b, this includes the Heliopan 695 and Hoya R72, I've read will work, but with a weaker IR effect. Recently I was only able to buy the 120 Rollei IR film, Retrophotographic had no 4x5. Hopefull they will have next week when I'm back from Holiday, then I'll need the bigger filter to use it with my 90mm lens. I've shot one roll so far as a test, best results with an ISO of 16, sometimes 8, with the 715 filter fitted, and 7 minutes in stock D76. Can't wait to try it in 4x5.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve,

let me know how you get on, I was looking at the film a few days ago...

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Marc, I've shot 2 test films, both 120, but only developed one. I broke my thermometer and have only just replaced it. I like the results, one of the test shots of St. Mary's church in Aylesbury is here in this thread http://205.214.76.22/showthread.php3?t=4657

I've now bought 3 boxes of the 4x5 Rollei IR film, and will be shooting some around Whitby and Staithes, I'm going to be up there this weekend. I never found the Heliopan 67mm filter, so I'll be using my 65 and 135mm lenses, not the 90. Later I'll probably bite the bullet and get a Hoya R72 67mm filter as the next best. I'll post some images once I'm back. One thing I did notice, the film is very thin. It just falls into the film holders