WTB: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
George Hart
Forum Hero

WTB: Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Post by George Hart » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

My Minolta spotmeter took a dip in Buttermere and died. Took it in to Newton Ellis, Liverpool, hoping for help. Chap behind the counter refused to take it in his hand! Gave it a look as if it was harbouring HIV, ebola virus and hepatitis B all at once. Said "that's digital, right?". No matter how much I assured him that it was used for analogue photography, he wouldn't take it on. So I opened it up and there were erosions and worse around some of the contacts and one of the chips.

So, might anyone have a Pentax digital spotmeter that they are willing to part with? Near mint condition only please.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George,

It's probably not as cheap as you were hoping but Badger Graphic and possibly others in the States were selling the Pentax meters at prices equivalent to pre-stupid UK prices, i.e. approx £300 for a brand new one versus nearly £600 from Jessops for the same thing :shock:

I haven't checked in a while and the pound/dollar is working against us with all the credit crunch stuff but it may be worth a look if you're desperate...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:07 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Andrew. Badger has them for $450, which translates to ~£380 after import duty etc. Still pricey. I am currently contemplating getting one of the Metered Light units, which are slightly cheaper at $425, and much smaller.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

They've gone up a bit in price since I looked although it was probaby in the region of $2/£1 back then...

Can you still get hold of the Metered Light unit new as I've seen reviews but the site's dead?

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

There was a thread on LF forum a short while ago about metered light. Chap there seemed to know the producers. I expressed interest on behalf of their size as a backup for my Pentax, but don't really think they are probably such a good product.

I wanted something cheaper than another Pentax as a compromise, but on reflection, think it would be just that and would want to replace like for like if I had the equivalent of George's unfortunate Buttermere experience.
Baxter

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:Can you still get hold of the Metered Light unit new as I've seen reviews but the site's dead?
It seems that they have geared up for a new production run. Although their old site is dead they have a blogspot here http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/ which is updated every so often. It gives hope of continued availability, and ordering details…

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George Hart wrote:Thanks Andrew. Badger has them for $450, which translates to ~£380 after import duty etc. Still pricey. I am currently contemplating getting one of the Metered Light units, which are slightly cheaper at $425, and much smaller.
Cheaper than Speed Graphic...

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp? ... +Spotmeter

Barry

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

BarryWilkinson wrote:
Cheaper than Speed Graphic...

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp? ... +Spotmeter

Barry
Ouch, and to think I paid £280 for mine...

At the current prices, it's almost worth looking at the Kenko (ex-Minolta) meters and maybe Sekonic - you're then getting a full-spec meter but a lot more complexity if you can handle it.

George Hart
Forum Hero

Post by George Hart » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote: maybe Sekonic - you're then getting a full-spec meter but a lot more complexity if you can handle it.
Some time ago I bought a Sekonic with a 1 degree spotmeter mode (along with a lot more!) from RW, but I returned it because it had a great propensity to be affected by flare. It was one of the current designs with the lens on the side of the unit. It didn't seem to have enough room in the design for the baffles that the Pentax and Minolta units have.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

...and from personal experience, I wouldn't recommend a Gossen Starlite - hopeless at lower light levels and quite fragile. The flash metering was great but it's rare I used that part of it and the Zone System wasn't very easy to work (one reason I bought it in the first place.)

I swapped to the Pentax Digital spot with Zone VI sticker and haven't looked back.