Lee Filters prices about to rise

Anything to sell (WTS) or looking for anything specific (WTB)? Anything advertised on this forum comes with the usual "buyer beware" advice; it is up to the purchaser to assure themselves of the integrity of the supplier and item being sold. It is also the responsibility of the seller to ensure that payment is forthcoming before parting with said item.
Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Lee Filters prices about to rise

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For those of you who are wavering on buying anything from Lee, I have just been notified that their prices are going to increase by anything between 5% and 10%, depending on the product.

The increase takes effect on 1st May 2009 so, if you would like to take advantage of the 15% discount I can offer on the old prices, let me have your orders ASAP.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Patrick Dixon
Forum Hero

Post by Patrick Dixon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is this only for people attending the workshops?

If so I will order from Speedgraphic in the hope that I might get a camera soon.

Do people bother with any other filters than grads, NDs and polarisers these days? Everything else can be done post-scanning I think.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Patrick Dixon wrote:Is this only for people attending the workshops?
officially, yes.
Patrick Dixon wrote:If so I will order from Speedgraphic in the hope that I might get a camera soon.
Ah, so Speedgraphic are giving away free cameras with their filters, eh? :lol:
Patrick Dixon wrote:Do people bother with any other filters than grads, NDs and polarisers these days? Everything else can be done post-scanning I think.
There is a difference between adjusting colour balance with a filter or afterwards in Photoshop. If you get the wrong white balance on the film, it is because there was too much/not enough of a particular part of the spectrum.

Using filters ensures that the film gets an even balance of light and can easily be scanned or wet printed.

Using Photoshop entails reducing the amount of the "offending" colour to achieve a balance. This means that you are also reducing the detail that existed in parts of the image that were intended to be that colour, as well as the wrongly coloured bits.

Try it for yourself and see if you can get the same fidelity of colour doing it both ways. :)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony