Greetings from the monkey hanging capital of England

New here? Introduce yourself.
Dave Parkin

Greetings from the monkey hanging capital of England

Post by Dave Parkin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello All

I am Dave from Hartlepool and have recently moved up from MF to LF. Wonder sometimes why but then see the trannies on a light box and realise why.

Am I the only one who gets asked about my "Old" camera especially with my head under the dark cloth? I really am that shy

I use a beginners ebony with standard and wide angle lens mainly for landscapes particularly Scotland and the Northumbrian Coast. Have a lot to learn but have already picked up a lot of tips from the site, please keep up the good work

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave and welcome!

Unfortunately getting asked about the "ancient" camera is par for the course! My advice ... do what I do and stay under the darkcloth - much safer!

Regards paul

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. I get the same thing, I have noticed on occasion people looking at me with a sympathetic look like I can't afford a modern proper camera!!
Strange also how things come full circle too, I am more than happy to lt people see what I am doing if they show an interest. I have had a few people comment, when coming out from under the focus cloth, how usefull a small one of these would be for their little p+p "cos they can never really see the image on the LCD screen on a sunny day"!!!
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Re: Greetings from the monkey hanging capital of England

Post by Tim Myers » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:31 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Dave Parkin wrote:Am I the only one who gets asked about my "Old" camera especially with my head under the dark cloth? I really am that shy
Hi Dave! No - it's not only you - but I've had a lot less of that since I started wearing my 'Scare The Locals' hat...

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Tim Myers wrote: No - it's not only you - but I've had a lot less of that since I started wearing my 'Scare The Locals' hat...
Nothing scares the locals like someone atually wearing(!!) a Blackjacket focussing cloth... :)

Except maybe using a black/red Morco cloth worn as a cape, together with some fake Vampire teeth :roll:

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I suppose you're talking from experience in both cases... You do worry me, Marc. Paul, any chance your tea room/trolley sells stakes and garlic???
But yes the LF camera: I suspect that wooden Ebonys attract far more of the questions about "old" cameras. In my experience, my metal camera has always attracted favourable comments and general curiosity. Which is actually quite enjoyable. I also suspect that folk with genuinely old cameras attract curisosity. There is a very English madness about using machines that are out of date for a hobby. Just like people congregating to operate steam-driven cranes, etc. Any ale-drinking male must stop to admire. Don't let them down and tell them there is a whole community of us, and then they do get worried.
Charles
PS don't tell anyone I am born in France

buze

Post by buze » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles Twist wrote:PS don't tell anyone I am born in France
Funny that, me too !

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

buze wrote:
Charles Twist wrote:PS don't tell anyone I am born in France
Funny that, me too !
Ouah ! Les Français sont arrivés. Peut-être il y aura un autre Français qui est très intéressé de lui joindre à nous à Glencoe.
Last edited by Joanna Carter on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bell

Post by Steve Bell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:Except maybe using a black/red Morco cloth worn as a cape, together with some fake Vampire teethMarc
As I use one of these I'll now have to get the matching teeth!

I often carry a rubish negative, just to show the curious what a large piece of film the camera uses.

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steve Bell wrote:I often carry a rubish negative, just to show the curious what a large piece of film the camera uses.
I once got a lot of frosty stares from a verger in a cathedral until I whipped out a polaroid of the shot I was set up for and she then seemed to thaw out a bit...

I'll have to look round for one of my rubbish negs - there's one or two (hundred) somehere :roll: :wink: