New to LF

New here? Introduce yourself.
patawauke

New to LF

Post by patawauke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Everybody

Based near Richmond, Surrey I'm joining the forum hoping to speed up my LF learning curve, relying on all you wise existing members to put me right when required.

I used to do serious 35mm including darkroom work many years ago, then, after the usual busy 20 year career hiatus, took up MF with relish several years ago, but this time scanning negs and printing digitally.

This year I have started doing LF with 4x5, and want to do 5x7 and maybe whole-plate, shooting mostly outdoors, landscapes, no specific projects yet, other than village scenes. I'm preparing to set up a wet darkroom, got the Jobo gear, and wondering about enlarging.

Moving to LF, as with MF previously, was motivated by the quest for greater quality/detail in negs/prints, and I wanted the more methodic approach to exposing and composing. I still occasionally bring out my old film FM2 or T90 or M6 mostly for old times sake. My 5D is reserved strictly for holidays with the wife, when tripods and darkcloths are banished!

Looking forward to contributing.

Cheers All

Dave Dawson
Forum Hero

Re: New to LF

Post by Dave Dawson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome to the group....Keep your eyes open on fleabay for LF gear and darkroom stuff. I rescently bought a Durst 138S 5x7 enlarger with colour head, three mixing boxes, loads of masks, two transtabs and a timer for £119 :) AND I had to collect it not far from you in Raynes Park :shock:

However I don't expect the darkroom to be operational until the end of the year.

Cheers Dave

patawauke

Post by patawauke » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Dave,

Yes I have started watching out for a Devere 504 with the Ilford multigrade BW head. I was advised not to go as big as a 5x7 enlarger as just too bulky, the 5x4 size already seems a real heavyweight.

John

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome John, sounds like you found your way into LF the same as me and I suspect like a lot of members here. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com