Happy New Year from Banstead, Surrey

New here? Introduce yourself.
Ian Williams

Happy New Year from Banstead, Surrey

Post by Ian Williams » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum having realised that LF is where I want to go with my photography. I have just changed career and now work in the photographic industry and am also studying for a Foundation degree in photography at NESCOT. I am surrounded by digital technology but despite this I am passionate about film photography, currently shooting predominantly with medium format using a Bronica ETRSi and Mamiya 7. I also use a Hasselblad XPan and Nikon FE. In this fast paced life we lead in the 21st century, I prefer the more contemplative approach to LF photography and hope to develop my photography using large format.
I am currently using a Sinar P2 (with 135mm f5.6 Schneider lens) made available by my employer, but this is a big heavy beast to carry around in the field so I would welcome any advice on the purchase of my first LF camera. I have just missed out on a Horseman FA and it now seems that a Shen Hao offers good value for money. I may also consider a 5x7 as I like the idea of the larger negative and the aspect ratio of this format, although I am aware of the scarcity of film - again any comments would be welcome.
Anyway, I am looking forward to starting my LF journey.

numnutz

Re: Happy New Year from Banstead, Surrey

Post by numnutz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi there I'm from Tooting so I'm (almost) just up the road from you.

If you are interested in a meet up I can give yo demonstrations of my stuff. My cameras include a Vista 5x4, Gandolphi 5x4, Speed Graphic 5x4 and a Deardorff 10x8. I'm not interested in selling, merely letting you look before you leap as it were.

Just reply here on PM me. - I'm retired so can manage almost any time.

nn :)

monst

Post by monst » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hiya ian

not too far away here too, crystal palace! so welcome to the forum! i was at nescot about 13 years ago too.

john

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

And a happy new year to you as well Ian! It's hard to give you advice on the best camera for you, but I started a thread a while back asking about the good and bad points of various cameras and found it helped me. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=874

It's also worth a look back on the Classifieds to see what cameras have been selling for in the past year or so.

All the best, Peter

Ian Williams

Post by Ian Williams » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses. I now have a Shen Hao PTB 54 and love it. Photographed the Russell Hotel in Russell Square, London, yesterday and waiting for the transparencies to come back! Can't wait to shoot more, likely to be predominantly architectural. May post some pics for critique in due course! Ian