hello and your thoughts

New here? Introduce yourself.
juliank

hello and your thoughts

Post by juliank » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hi, been registered a while now, but always lurked in the background reading, picking up info, knowledge etc and generally being inspired by the work shown on this site and other lf/photography sites. i suppose i'm abit of a frustrated lf wannabe? i have a crown graphic that i've used very little, just some test/familiarisation shots type thing. i also have a couple of wooden 8x10 pinholes i made some years ago sitting on top of the wardrobe collecting dust.

not a complete novice, some time ago i had complete access to a darkroom for a couple of years, which i used frequently with medium format for landscapes mainly. that was some years ago and during that time i collected numerous mf cameras; 1000s, sl66, 500c, rollei tlr, rz, rb, zenza ec, holga etc. oh, plus an om1 too which i used before discovering medium format. i like classic cameras and old lf gear appeals to me very much. i have a jobo processor with sheet, film and paper tanks, so no hassle to do my own films/papers etc. plus i'm in the process of converting my attic/loft into a hobby room come darkroom to allow all this gear to come to fruition.

though my life is quite busy and i have limited free time with other interests i pursue; classic bikes/cars if there's any other 'tinkerers' out there? i long to get back into traditional photography. i'm mainly interested in black and white ir, fine art and alternative processes i suppose, from the imagery i see. lf appeals to me for the additional creativity allowed by movements and the ability to shoot as little or as much film as you want.

i've been researching the enlarger market for some time now and i am definately set on either a de vere 203 or 504. i have the space in the loft for a 504 (bench/wall mounted) but it could get abit tight with the other stuff i want to put in there. so i thought of a 203, are they much smaller? maybe i shouldn't go down the lf route? keep all my mf gear and use that. my enlargements wouldn't be that large. probably unoticable, to me anyway? but it's the tonality and movements i'd be missing out on, yeah?

what is the comparable size of a 504 enlarger and a 203, i believe the 203 isn't that much smaller than a 504, am i right?

i would probably take very little images through the year? but none the less it would be there for me as and when i'd want to and thats good enough reason for me. plus i'm sure i'd use it more because i could produce prints. i'd like to get my daughter interested in it too. maybe she'd waste less time on the interweb?

the sensible thing would be to get a epson v scanner. but a pc plays a big part in my working life as a tool. i don't like or want to spend hours on it photoshoping scanned images, though i totally see all the advantages of doing so.

don't know whether to get started in lf, stick to mf, for which i have lots of gear. or even just sack it all off and maybe come back to it later in life when i have abit more time to do so? i'll see if i can attend any local(ish) events just to chat and see folks using their cameras?

sorry for the blathering intro, but you can probably see i'm in abit of a dilema. keen to get back into traditional photography, but not knowing which route. problem is i am spoilt and have too many options available. my heart says keep my two favourite mf cameras, sell the rest, go lf and don't look back. if it doesn't work out, move on, life is too short. but the practicable side of me says stick with what you have, or even give it up?

would like to hear some thoughts or any similiar experiences?

thanks.

richard littlewood

Re: hello and your thoughts

Post by richard littlewood » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I recognise the issues with all those choices and not much choice over time issues. Personally I'd be tempted to go for a bit of large format, fewer but more worthy shots, sod the scanner, and head off into the (new) darkroom to mess with a few chemicals and paper, and unless you imagine never using any film cameras again ever, I wouldnt get shut of them, but make sure any negs from them can be enlarged (5x4 enlarger will cover the lot). Best of luck!

patawauke

Post by patawauke » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well at least you're not having to fret over which latest digital slr to waste your money on!

There's nothing unusual in combining different camera platforms/formats to suit your interests or needs. While some bravehearts move exclusively to LF, I'm sure just as many keep an MF or 135 or digital system going as well, I certainly do. The trick is not to let the choices overwhelm you, resulting in always taking out too much gear ("just to make sure you get the picture"). I always carry a back up camera, often a quality digital p&s(!).

For your darkroom and enlarger choices, good on you! With prices what they are these days, your 'investment' in a quality enlarger should be pretty modest, so even if you rarely use it, it's not the financial drama it might once have been. Just be aware not to expect much at all on resale. Better still, don't resell, if you have the space, keep it, even if you turn to scanners and hybrid processes later.

I have no experience of the Devere enlargers (they are said to be the best), but I have a Durst M805 (up to 6x9, therefore the equivalent of the bench 203), and it is not too big, although you need ceiling height. And I've been looking into getting the Durst 138s, a 5x7 machine, and size/bulk/weight/ all increase geometrically by several values. I'm pretty sure the Devere 504 is similar, very bulky, tall and heavy, even the bench version. Check out Odyssey website as they were the US importer and have pages summarising the Devere models. Best to buy from a forum member, and ebay can offer good deals. Dealers like Mr Cad maintain a good stock of enlargers, but prices remain highish.

Like you, I am torn between remaining with up to 6x9 for darkroom, and scanning LF rather than going the whole hog. I suspect that I will get the LF enlarger as I have the room, and would always wonder what I missed if I didn't do it. Others on the forum will undoubtedly express their choices too, which is always illuminating (usually to cause more confusion).

juliank

Post by juliank » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hi guys, thanks for the replies. sorry about the delayed response, but i've been away with work and just got back. i'd like to participate in one of your darkroom workshops one day richard. i'm not too far away in skelmanthorpe. i think what i wanted to hear was the approach i wanted to take; keep everything, set up a hobby/darkroom and potter about in there as and when. pat, i'll keep my eye out for an enlarger. i've had some oppertunistic bids, but lost out. even it it doesn't get set up for a while it can be stored away no probs. though ebay rarely hand out bargains nowerdays. i have time to hopefully pick up a reasonably priced enlarger. i do have a d70 and compact for my happy snappy needs. though i'll probably convert the d70 for infrared? it will take abit of time before i'm all set up for prints etc. but look forward to it when i'm finally there.
regards, j.

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Julian
Skelmanthorpe, that is close by. Do the locals still refer to it as 'Shat'. Never quite understood that. If ever you fancy popping over to have a peep at my darkroom let me know.
All the best
Richard

juliank

Post by juliank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

richard,
thanks for the kind offer of a look around your darkroom. i'll definately take you up on that. anyway, yes skelmanthorpe is still known as 'shat'. historically during construction, of the railway i think. alot of rock had to be shifted. so men were employed to manually break up the rock, to 'shatter' it. these labourers were known as 'shatterers', i think they were predominately from ireland?
regards, j.