Another Northener

New here? Introduce yourself.
Barry

Another Northener

Post by Barry » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a week or two and decided to take the plunge and join. So, as the forum title says, who am I?

Well I'm Barry, a 53yr old married police officer, living in Westhoughton, Bolton. I retire from the GMP in just under 4 years (can't wait) and look forward to developing my photography further when I have more time on my hands.

I've been into photography seriously since the late 80's and have had and used all formats since then, except LF. For my sins, I'm a camera club judge for the Lancs & Cheshire Photo Union. My primary reason for looking at LF only transpired very recently when I was about to start on a HNC/Foundation degree course at St Helens college but unfortunate family circumstances effectively ended that path.

So what am I currently using? For those easily offended please skip the next line or two _
a) 35mm and digital - Canon EOS1nHS, 20D, five 'L' and two more that should have the red ring, plus the usual accessories;
b) Medium Format - Two Bronica RF645 bodies, 45mm, 65mm, 100mm lenses and Bronica RF-20 flash;
c) Large Format - Toyo 45CF, Schneider 90mm, 135mm, 150mm, 210mm lenses (first LF camera only bought 3 months ago - so I'm most definitely a 'newbie' in this format).

Recently I've had my own personal 'rennaisance' (probably spelt wrong) and returned to film more and more - leaving the 'other' kit in the ally case where it lives.

Why join this group? Well you're all from the UK (which makes a nice change from the over-population of some forums by our cousing across the pond), and you all seem very nice, friendly, helpful people.

Barry

sandeha
Forum Hero

Post by sandeha » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Barry ... I use a 90mm, 135mm, and a 210mm myself. Just the right range, though I also picked up an old Apo-Ronar 360mm lens without a shutter recently - that slows my hand with counting seconds!

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Barry and welcome, two RF645's! I have had an urge for one for travelling as I find 35mm too small these days.
lots of friendly input to be had here, hope yo see you st one of the workshops.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

Ole Tjugen

Post by Ole Tjugen » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We're not quite all from UK, although I feel in a definite minority here!

I reckon that the UK is one of the few "abroads" I can reach in a reasonable time without subjecting to the full treatment at the airport both coming and going - I'm sure they won't let me take 60kg of carry-on! At the moment I've got cameras from 4x5" (and 6.5x9cm and 9x12cm, both of which are smaller) to 12x16", and lenses from 65mm to 750mm. Not all the lenses can be used on all the cameras, though - this week I packed a single 4x5" camera and 65, 90, 121, 135, 150, 165, 180, 210, 240 and 355mm lenses. In the end I didn't take one single picture, but at least it all fits in one car. And I can take that car to the UK relatively easily.

Anyway: What I was going to say was "welcome"!
Ole Tjugen

Tom Green

Welcome ,

Post by Tom Green » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:55 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Barry ,Might as well add my tuppence worth ,quite a band of north west L/F workers building up as you can see from the members lists,Plenty of knowledge given by all, So welcome to the group..<Tombo> :) :mrgreen:
:Inspiration and Vision make Great Photographs

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Barry,

It seems like you've done what most of us do - work your way up to LF and then wonder why people bother with the "keyhole" formats :wink: It's when you start thinking in focus planes for pulling apart other (non-LF) people's shots and wonder why they didn't get them sharp enough that you've caught the LF bug...

I'm almost "next door" as I'm in the YPU area, living near Wakefield - I've managed to excape being a judge although I'm now on the Exec. committee and have links to an MF group as well as local CC and now the UKLFPG.

They're a decent crowd and helpful so don't worry about being a newbie - most only came to LF in the last few years so we're all still learning...

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.