New in London

New here? Introduce yourself.
AndrewMiddleton

New in London

Post by AndrewMiddleton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello LF Photographers,

I've been living around and about the UK for 6 years now and finally moved to London, so hello Londoners.

I saw that the MET have clarified their guidelines on photographers (in latest BJP I think), but are there any issues using a large format camera, say around the southbank, Millennium Bridge or futher down by London Bridge and Tower Bridge?

Is there any interesting views you would recommend, likewise areas to avoid?

Thank you, Andrew

Charles Twist
Founder

Re: New in London

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Andrew,
And welcome!
I am no Londoner, but on a recent visit, I was pleasantly surprised to see a SLR-toting photographer with tripod taking pictures of the Houses of Parliament, without getting arrested. I think things have improved over the last few years. Five or so years ago, at the South Bank, I was told that tripods were verboten - even on a quiet Sunday morning. I don't know if things have changed there. Part of the problem with London is knowing when an open space is a public space. Overall, I'd say: give it a go. Just avoid the really touristy and cramped areas like Westminster Bridge, where you'd get in the way and might have your gear damaged or stolen.
Regards,
Charles

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome on board Andrew. I work in London and have used my LF camera thrice to photograph Parliament. I was only stopped by the Police on the second occasion. With the new Home Secretary, Teresa May's commitment to change the Police-State culture of the Met, I think things will improve.

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

AndrewMiddleton wrote:Hello LF Photographers,

I've been living around and about the UK for 6 years now and finally moved to London, so hello Londoners.

I saw that the MET have clarified their guidelines on photographers (in latest BJP I think), but are there any issues using a large format camera, say around the southbank, Millennium Bridge or futher down by London Bridge and Tower Bridge?

Is there any interesting views you would recommend, likewise areas to avoid?

Thank you, Andrew

Andrew, a belated welcome to this forum

Since I seem to be in 'posting mode' this pm, it'd be good to hear what sort of camera(s) and optics you have and whether you have any lenses that really are "......death do us part" etc etc

regards

andrew