New LF user from London

New here? Introduce yourself.
Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: New LF user from London

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

nicolaslaborie wrote:I have another question - i saw that you can get 6x7 roll film back for 4x5 too...do many large format photographers use them (might be a silly question as 6x7 is a medium format !) and which ones would fit the Pacemaker Crown Graphic?

Ps: Just got a Steve Simmons`s book from the US and its a great read ! thank you again !

N

Hello Nicholas and welcome

The advantage of using rf backs with LF IMHO, is that you get the benefit of the (larger) camera's full movements which you don't get with your standard MF camera + the ability to look through a significantly larger focusing screen - you also don't have to fuss about with loading filmholders if you eventually find that too time consuming.........

Anyhow, Steve's book is a very valuable tool and although Steve is a much maligned individual, (particularly from our American cousins) his contribution towards LF education both in writing and publishing that book together with his bi-monthly magazine, cannot be understated

Jim Stone, another American also published a guide to using the VC but I've never seen it in the UK

regards

andrew

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

nicolaslaborie wrote:Hello to lf-photo and their members,

I just got myself a Pacemaker Crown Graphic and im a complete novice when it comes to Large format photography but excited about this new project. My first thought is to get some Polaroid (for my 550 back which i got with the camera) but first i wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a good book for introduction to LF or any tips.

Thank you and look forward to browse thru the site to see teh work.

Nicolas

just adding to my last post - one of the cheapest and best accessories that you can buy for a VC is/are two to three good quality bulldog clips

......................may seem odd but they're one of the easiest ways to keep the darkcloth in place when you're ducking in and out of the back of the camera

enjoy, it's a fantastic passion but be careful, buying lenses and upgrading a system can be mighty addictive.............

regards

andrew

nicolaslaborie

Post by nicolaslaborie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Will order Ansel Adams book as im a fan of his work and have Steve Simmons`s View Camera - which is a great read.

Here are the first Polaroid i took to test the camera...and now im planning a trip to shoot a landscape series.

N
Attachments
Natural light, wide open with a red filter, half stop under
Natural light, wide open with a red filter, half stop under
photo.JPG (215.29 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Natural light, wide open no filters
Natural light, wide open no filters
Jambon 5x4.jpg (63.04 KiB) Viewed 3512 times

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Are you pleased with these? They look good to me. Thanks for showing.

By the way, I looked at your online stuff. Very nice indeed!

nicolaslaborie

Post by nicolaslaborie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bless you Oliver... my work/online stuff is very different- more commercial - but i really enjoyed testing the camera and i still need to get my head around a couple of things so i can be confident to shoot 5x4 films and 6x9 /6x6 once i have found them.

Im please with the landscape as for the portrait i wanted to get more definitions but i like the d.o.f ... im off to the lake district soon to do a series in the big world of large format.

N