New member from South Devon

New here? Introduce yourself.
Scarlet Pimpernel

New member from South Devon

Post by Scarlet Pimpernel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello everyone,
I am a professional graphic designer, ideas person, photographer (35mm: sorry), typographer and print-maker from South Devon.
Much of my work is arts-based. Whilst I'd dearly love to have the money and time to buy a large-format camera, I didn't join the forum for this reason. But more because I'm looking for someone who lives near me who owns a large-format camera and can take a photo of a large painting that i need to have scanned and then turned into a digital file for one of my clients.

...anyone?

Best wishes
Carey Marks
Totnes, South Devon, UK

Paul Salmon

Re: New member from South Devon

Post by Paul Salmon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Carey,
Have you been successful in your request ?
I might be able to help.
Paul.

Scarlet Pimpernel

Post by Scarlet Pimpernel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Paul Salmon wrote:Hi Carey,
Have you been successful in your request ?
I might be able to help.
Paul.

Hi Paul,
no joy as yet. I am in Totnes. My email is **************
Carey
Last edited by Joanna Carter on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:44 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hiding email address from spammers

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:46 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Carey, please use the PM system to initially contact other members. You may think you obfucated your address but I removed it because it would have been too easy for the spammers to crack :wink:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:12 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Carey,

Have you tried your local museum service? They might have the details of someone who can do it for you.
Here in the NW of England I supply a similar service although digitally. In the past 8 years I've not been asked to shoot any film mind.

Good luck,

Tony

Paul Salmon

Post by Paul Salmon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:54 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Have you considered that a large file size shot with a digital camera might produce the image quality you are asking for?
Of course, this is dependent on the size of print you are looking for, but the cost would be a lot less, and possibly negligible
loss of quality.
Just a thought.

Scarlet Pimpernel

Post by Scarlet Pimpernel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:17 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fourtoes wrote:Hi Carey,

Have you tried your local museum service? They might have the details of someone who can do it for you.
Here in the NW of England I supply a similar service although digitally. In the past 8 years I've not been asked to shoot any film mind.

Good luck,

Tony
God Idea Tony,
I'll try Exeter museum. I would love it provided digitally, but can you can a digital back for large format? (I know you can for medium format, as I have used one with a photographer)

Thanks,
Carey

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Carey,

Yes there are digital scanning backs for LF view cameras, I've never used or seen one used. And I'm not sure the actual chip is the same size as a 5x4 neg. Might well be the same MF back adapted to fit a LF set up. Someone on here will know.

I've used MF digital backs and been well impressed by their capabilities. It depends on what your requirements are for output. I think you'd be surprised at the quality of a MF digtal file nowadays and may well me more than adequate for your needs..

Tony

Scarlet Pimpernel

Post by Scarlet Pimpernel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fourtoes wrote:Hi Carey,

Yes there are digital scanning backs for LF view cameras, I've never used or seen one used. And I'm not sure the actual chip is the same size as a 5x4 neg. Might well be the same MF back adapted to fit a LF set up. Someone on here will know.

I've used MF digital backs and been well impressed by their capabilities. It depends on what your requirements are for output. I think you'd be surprised at the quality of a MF digtal file nowadays and may well me more than adequate for your needs..

Tony

Absolutely! I'd be very happy with someone with a MF digital back to help me with this project in my area? Or even London: I am there on work later this week going into next week.
Carey