Hi from the Sussex Downland

New here? Introduce yourself.
Oliver

Hi from the Sussex Downland

Post by Oliver » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello! I'm Martyn Oliver, from East Sussex. I'm a writer/editor who has worked with pro photographers for more than 40 years, and for that reason I'd never class myself as a proper photographer, but rather as someone who enjoys taking pictures.

In common with many people, I rather like gadgets, and that includes analogue cameras; basically, I like things that work well, ingeniously and often very simply. I have several cameras in several formats: 35mm (Leica CL), MF (Rolleiflex T, Koni-Omega M, Fuji GX680) and LF (Cambo SC). None of them are collector's-cabinet pieces, they're all used frequently and they all bear the marks to show it.

I found my Cambo gathering dust at the back of a cupboard at one of my clients, where it had been discarded in favour of a DSLR. I've given it a new life, and it's become a good friend.

I'm becoming interested in traditional printing-out processes such as platinum/palladium, and their modern successors such as chrysotype and ziatype. I managed to get hold of a box of Centennial POP a while ago and I've been really pleased with the results so far.

If anyone's interested in some more background, they might like to look here.

Paul Mitchell

Re: Hi from the Sussex Downland

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome aboard Martyn

I'm sure your skills as a writer will put you in good stead for all the banter that goes on here ;-)

Look forward to seeing some of your work

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another "welcome" to the forum!

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

oliver wrote:Hello! I'm Martyn Oliver, from East Sussex. I'm a writer/editor who has worked with pro photographers for more than 40 years, and for that reason I'd never class myself as a proper photographer, but rather as someone who enjoys taking pictures.

In common with many people, I rather like gadgets, and that includes analogue cameras; basically, I like things that work well, ingeniously and often very simply. I have several cameras in several formats: 35mm (Leica CL), MF (Rolleiflex T, Koni-Omega M, Fuji GX680) and LF (Cambo SC). None of them are collector's-cabinet pieces, they're all used frequently and they all bear the marks to show it.

I found my Cambo gathering dust at the back of a cupboard at one of my clients, where it had been discarded in favour of a DSLR. I've given it a new life, and it's become a good friend.

I'm becoming interested in traditional printing-out processes such as platinum/palladium, and their modern successors such as chrysotype and ziatype. I managed to get hold of a box of Centennial POP a while ago and I've been really pleased with the results so far.

If anyone's interested in some more background, they might like to look here.

Hello Martin

Good to read your initial post - alternative processes, excellent - since you mention Ziatypes, it sounds as though you're a Bostick & Sullivan convert, as Dick Sullivan is pretty big in 'Z types'

regards

andrew

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote:... since you mention Ziatypes, it sounds as though you're a Bostick & Sullivan convert, as Dick Sullivan is pretty big in 'Z types'
Hi Andrew, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, Dick Sullivan, Mike Ware ... these chemistry boffins have me in awe! But I love playing with "stuff", and I love doing it in an unconventional way.

Until recently I had access to a proper wet darkroom, but now I'm restricted to a changing bag and the kitchen sink. Add to that, p/p prints are pretty expensive, especially if like me you throw half your stuff in the bin because it hasn't worked. Ziatypes offer a different and slightly more practical approach.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thx Martyn

........apologies for the typo, the first time round

regards

andrew