Hiya, anyone in the Lakes?

New here? Introduce yourself.
Marmalade

Hiya, anyone in the Lakes?

Post by Marmalade » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hiya

I'm just about to launch myself in to the world of large format :D . It is tantalisingly exciting but I am a beginner in the true 'I'll drown without arm-bands' sense of the word :$ . I'm studying a photography degree with the OCA at the moment and have invested in a beautiful second-hand ebony 45s and a 150mm rodenstock lens. Eventually, when I have worked out which way is up (you think I'm joking!!), I would like to take some environmental portraits, but that'll be a few films away yet I suspect. I'm currently teaching myself by reading useful websites like this and a number of blogs, and I have a copy of the Steve Simmons 'Using the View Camera' (which is a little dry, but helpful).

Just wondered whether there are any other large formatters up here in Cumbria or nearby? Or are there any trips planned to the Lakes, which beginners like me could tag along on? :wink: :wink:

Look forward to 'hanging out' around here!!

Penny

PAUL O
Founder

Re: Hiya, anyone in the Lakes?

Post by PAUL O » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:48 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi and welcome to the forum! Great choice of camera/lens! There are quite a few LF'ers "up North" who will (I'm sure) say hello! We are about due another workshop so watch this space ... :)

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Paul, look forward to hearing more.....

Trevor Crone

Post by Trevor Crone » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Penny, from one Ebony user to another a warm welcome to the forum and LF photography - a most rewarding pursuit if I may say so.

Sadly I'm a long way from Cumbria (London) but if I can help in any way just PM me and I will try to help if possible.

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Trevor for the offer of support.....seems a great group this..

Rod

Post by Rod » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the group. I'm over in North Yorks and also have an Ebony 45S, together with far too many lenses! For me it's a couple of hours drive over to the lakes, but, as I'm now retired, my time's my own (wife permitting!) so that's not really a problem. I was thinking of having a day-trip over there some time in the not-to-distant future to capture some autumn colour, but as yet I have nothing definite planned. To avoid other "tourists" I now normally go out on weekdays!

If you or anyone else has any thoughts on a specific trip or area to visit, please let me know.

Kindest regards,

Rod.

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Rod for the response... :D

One or two trees are just turning now but as you say it'll be a few more weeks before the colours really burst - possibly end of October, beginning of Nov.

That would be great to meet up!!! During the week is more difficult for me because of school runs, but I do have Wednesdays free until school pick-up time (except half-term 27th) so that could work. Alternatively, with a little notice, I could escape for a day over a weekend!!

There are so many different places to meet up here for Autumn colours, spoilt for choice really. Open to suggestions....woods, lakes, bracken fells....what d'ya fancy?? Centenery Wood or Castlerigg Stone Circle around Derwentwater are always good but popular, or away from the throngs, there's Holme Wood at Loweswater, Mire House/Dodd Wood at Bassenthwaite, or Ullswater is easy to access from the motorway....and then south lakes well there's Tarn Hows or Elterwater but does get very busy!!! I sound like a lonely planets guide now!!! It depends what you're after...I'm up near Loweswater but have car and can travel....any favourite spots???.....

Not sure what Paul has got up his sleeve.... :wink: Any other takers??

Penny

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi, I'm near Manchester/Bolton but often visit the Lakes, especially around Bassenthwaite etc.

I'm just getting back into Large Format and film after 10 years of digital.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fourtoes wrote:Hi, I'm near Manchester/Bolton… I'm just getting back into Large Format and film after 10 years of digital.
I am speaking at Bolton Camera Club on the 28th October. See you there?
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:46 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Not member Joanna.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:57 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Fourtoes wrote:Not member Joanna.
Neither am I, come as a guest.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Some nice autumnal weather here at the moment and some stunning lighting inbetween the clouds. The colours are coming, but I still think it'll be a few more weeks before it really turns .... :)

Hiya fourtoes how are you getting on with the LF camera, is it like riding a bike - can you just pick up where you left off?

My lens has arrived today, so I've no more excuses. It all looks beautiful in its box, but I'm itching to go out and I'm really looking forward to being more competent with it. Going to reread on how to load film now and where you buy it from :roll: . The camera didn't come with an instruction manual so I'm feeling my way around it at the moment, not wanting to break anything.

See ya for now....

Penny

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Penny.

Its been funny getting back into film. I had a shock when I looked through the waste level finder on a Hasselblad the other month. The image was upside down AND backwards....I'd totally forgotten about that. So got rid of that and now got the MPP. Although I'm booked onto a wet plate collodion workshop this weekend.

Marmalade

Post by Marmalade » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

That sounds an interesting course. Would be interested to hear how you get on. Planning on processing yourself? MPP?? ...

Fourtoes
Forum Hero

Post by Fourtoes » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

MPP stands for Micro Precision Products Ltd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Precision_Products