Hello from Sunny(less!) Sunderland

New here? Introduce yourself.
Mike Carter

Hello from Sunny(less!) Sunderland

Post by Mike Carter » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll keep it brief :)
Recently acquired an MPP Micro Technical (5x4) to satisfy a 30yr itch. Not really had much chance to use it yet except for a couple of shots of my front room, to check light-tightness.
I've already learned to pull out the dark slide from the holder before exposure and after flipping it over for the next one, to re-close the shutter before pulling out the slide :)
I was tired :p
Lesson learned. I also learned that the taco method isn't great in an old-style Paterson system 4 tank. Actually, it was complete pants. Now looking at a Paterson thermo-drum (manual version, c/w 10x8 and 12x16 drums £50, local dealer) or an Orbital at silly ebay prices. Hmm.
I can't abide darkroom work (sorry!): I'll be scanning and digitally PP or sending the negs away. I've always preferred B+W for film. I have a few 35mm's and a 6x6 TLR, as well as my dSLR.
It's the final image that matters more to me and I believe in horses for courses. That said, I'm open to ideas and adapting.
Some free time middle of March, I'll be out an about with it. Quite fancy long-exposure water shots, I live on the coast.
Absolutely tons to learn and I'm reading as hard and fast as my age-related (lol) diminishing cerebral capacity will allow :) Google's all very well but if the reply to every question was 'google it', there'd be no need for forums.

Charles Twist
Founder

Re: Hello from Sunny(less!) Sunderland

Post by Charles Twist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Mike and welcome from occasionally sunny Cleveland. I am just 20 minutes from Middlesbrough, so we might have the chance to bump in to each other. Any questions, just ask.
Best wishes,
Charles

Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Charles, thanks for the welcome!

Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:03 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Mike
Hi from the wilds of Northumberland. We could be developing enough members to have a local Northeast UKLF chapter. Am also slowly learning the dark arts so probably not a good idea to ask me any questions. I did get some good advice early on from this forum though, which was to have patience and eventually the appropriate kit will turn up at the right price. I also considered doing something with that Paterson thermodrum at Chas Eagles in Sunderland, if that's the one you mean but if you keep an eye on ebay, second hand dealers and the classifieds on here something affordable will turn up eventually. Taco style worked OK for me but you are right, it is pants.
Regards
Adrian.

Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Adrian Brewster wrote:Hi Mike
Hi Adrian
We could be developing enough members to have a local Northeast UKLF chapter.
Just noticed another new one, from Durham :)
I also considered doing something with that Paterson thermodrum at Chas Eagles in Sunderland, if that's the one you mean
(It was, Brian advised against it. I've been taking his advice for 30yrs, didn't see the need to stop now!)
but if you keep an eye on ebay, second hand dealers and the classifieds on here something affordable will turn up eventually..
I ended up in a roundabout way with a Nebro tank. Part of a lot of which my main interest was a safelight and thermometer.
Taco style worked OK for me but you are right, it is pants.
The Nebro is stand-only: Rodinal or RO9 at 1+100, here we come :) Needed a bit of minor modding to hold the film properly (a common issue, from other forums) and drinks chems like a chav drinks lambrini. Almost a litre per 6 sheets.
Regards
Adrian.
Mike.
I know, It's taken a while to reply, I should check the forum more often, sos.

Robert J Fallis

Post by Robert J Fallis » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi mike,
when I first started I got some Ilford ortho film.so that I could develop it under a red safe light, and all the gear you required was three small trays. and it's great fun watching a image you have made develop before your eyes, and you learn alot about negative processing

regards
bob

Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Bob, I'll look out for some of that. I don't have the space for a darkroom but can use the tiny bathroom blacked out sufficiently for three small trays and a safelight :)
I've developed prints before (when I had a 'proper' darkroom) and that was magic, too.
I'll have to stick with stand dev in the tank for now, I need to be more consistent and get a decent routine. Way too much contrast on the last lot :(
I now have an Orbital but again, that needs more practice.