Another belated 'Hello'

New here? Introduce yourself.
Brian E

Another belated 'Hello'

Post by Brian E » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:42 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi everyone

I heard about lf Forum by a chance meeting with DJ on Elgol beach Isle of Skye - Both of us hoping for some sunset lighting (Hope your pics turned out Ok DJ)

About myself - I have been a Professional Photographer for many - many years involved in Social (Weddings/Portraitsand PR) and previously hail from down south (Middlesex & Hampshire). I bought my 5x4 kit about 9 years ago with a view to having fun and taking more photos for my own enjoyment. Then almost 6 years ago I moved to Scotland - Shut down my business in Hampshire and started again in Scotland. Unfortunately my 5x4 use has been virtually non-existant until just recently (Have been too busy tryng to earn enough to eat)

Already an OAP I have decided to semi-retire next year and devote more time to Landscape work.

My current gear is:

Fuji S3 DSLR (x2) with all Sigma lenses from 10mm to 500mm
Nikon F80 SLR (Film)
Mamiya C330 Twin Lens Reflex - 65/80/105 lenses (I couldn't bear to part with it when I went digital)
Gandolfi Variant II 5x4 with Nikkor Lenses 65/90/150/210 + 6x12 & 6x7 Film backs.

Hope this is not too long - But may I add - I would not return to film for my social photography - Digital rules. Use the same techniques with all cameras (Take your time and only press the shutter when everything is right - AFTER turning off all the 'AUT GIZMOS')

Bran E
Gandolfiuser

DJ
Site Admin

Post by DJ » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Brian,

My pics... well, I got six beautifully exposed and thoroughly un-inspiring images from that evening :? oh well, live and learn. But it was a beautiful sunset :D

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Brian. Welcome to the group; make yourself at home :D

I would totally agree with your comment about using digital for social events; far less nerve-racking than hoping that that once in a lifetime event doesn't fail to "develop".

I hope you find plenty of opportunity to use larger formats and that we should have opportunity to meet you sometime.

CarlRadford

Welcome...

Post by CarlRadford » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:11 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

and have a long and happy retirement when it comes. Funny you say digital rules for weddings etc - a friend of mine is in this game and was in Loxley the other day and they were saying that people are returning to film in droves - blown out wedding dresses are not the thing apparently :)

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Welcome...

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

CarlRadford wrote:- blown out wedding dresses are not the thing apparently :)
Hmm, this stems from a lot of film photographers changing to digital and not realising that the latitude of the chip doesn't necessarily match the latitude of film.

I did a test on my Nikon D100 and found that the metered exposure would allow 4 1/2 stops of under-exposure before blocking shadows, but would only allow 1 1/2 stops of over-exposure before blowing the highlights. Most of the time, we end up setting the exposure compensation to 2/3 to 1 stop under-exposed to help balance things out a bit.

But, as you say, Brian, if you turn off all the automatic stuff, you get much better results. Oh, and whatever you do, don't rely on the auto white balance :!: