real man, real photography

New here? Introduce yourself.
Barry Fisher

real man, real photography

Post by Barry Fisher » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So, there I was in the middle of the countryside with my new (to me) Wista camera gleaming in the setting sun. How proud was I to see my camera with all that brass and wood, a real camera. I knew I did not have much time as the sun was going down fast. I set the camera up put on a lens and whipped out my dark cloth to put over my head. The wind blew hard and I struggled to keep the dark cloth on, holding it with one hand whilst trying to focus with the other hand. Having finally got something like an image on the viewing screen I deployed the double dark slide loaded with Fuji 50 ASA slide film. I placed the DDs in place and removed the dark slide turned it round and replaced it partially to stop light getting onto the film, thinking how clever I was to remember all this after so long.
I went round to the front of the camera to set the shutter speed and aperture only to see that the shutter was open already. So, the first piece of film ruined. Never mind, I thought, try again with the second piece of film. So I turned it round and very deliberately left the dark slide closed. I set the shutter and aperture then I tried to screw in the cable release. This was never going to happen and I struggled for a minute or two before deciding to trip the shutter manually. All went well and I managed to trip the shutter. I felt like real photographer now, using antiquated equipment and doing things the hard way. It was at this point that I discovered that I had failed to withdraw the dark slide from the back. The film had received no exposure whatsoever. Having only loaded four pieces of film into two DDs's I made a strategic retreat with my ego definitely deflated.
I have to say, though, I thoroughly enjoyed my outing and will be attempting another sortie soon. Who knows, I may even expose some film as well.

Barry

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: real man, real photography

Post by Joanna Carter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Barry Fisher wrote:I have to say, though, I thoroughly enjoyed my outing and will be attempting another sortie soon. Who knows, I may even expose some film as well.
Wow, some people are never satisfied! You did expose a sheet of film :wink: :roll: What is more, you even managed to save another sheet of film from being over-exposed.

Welcome back to reality :D
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Re: real man, real photography

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

We only learn by mistakes! At least now you know to leave a cable release permanently on each lens, which is a valuable tip.

I'm sure most of us have pulled a darkslide with the shutter open at one time or another too, i know I have.