Hello from Washington state, USA

New here? Introduce yourself.
Jerry Bodine

Hello from Washington state, USA

Post by Jerry Bodine » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Checking in from the Seattle area, and I may just lurk awhile ... stick my toes in the water first. After 76 trips around the sun, many of which with my Sinar Normas (4x5/5x7/8x10), I may even be qualified to offer something useful. I've given up on color work and am now working strictly with b&w. I've almost completely divested myself of Kodak products, except for HC-110 and Dektol, and transitioning to Ilford for film/paper products. Printing is on double weight gelatin silver paper (which some may nowadays consider an "alternative process"). Diffusion enlarger is 5x7 Omega cold light, 8x10s are contact printed. Actually, since I'm now retired after ~150 yrs (seemed like it) in the aerospace engineering workforce, I'm having much more time to put into practice all I learned from four workshops with Ansel Adams (before he passed); he was so very helpful in resolving some of my printing challenges in his darkroom as well as over the phone from my own darkroom. I thought some of his critiques at the time were almost brutal, but now I feel they were spot on and deserved. And I'm still learning!

Jerry

John Hamlen

Re: Hello from Washington state, USA

Post by John Hamlen » Mon May 30, 2011 10:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Jerry,
Great to have one of our American cousins on this forum, especially one who has met and studied with Mr A!
I'm very new here too, but everyone seems very friendly and helpful to an LF newbie like myself.
All the best,
John

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Tue May 31, 2011 8:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Jerry, look forward to your input and rather illustrious experiences with Mr A

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Jerry Bodine wrote:Checking in from the Seattle area, and I may just lurk awhile ... stick my toes in the water first. After 76 trips around the sun, many of which with my Sinar Normas (4x5/5x7/8x10), I may even be qualified to offer something useful. I've given up on color work and am now working strictly with b&w. I've almost completely divested myself of Kodak products, except for HC-110 and Dektol, and transitioning to Ilford for film/paper products. Printing is on double weight gelatin silver paper (which some may nowadays consider an "alternative process"). Diffusion enlarger is 5x7 Omega cold light, 8x10s are contact printed. Actually, since I'm now retired after ~150 yrs (seemed like it) in the aerospace engineering workforce, I'm having much more time to put into practice all I learned from four workshops with Ansel Adams (before he passed); he was so very helpful in resolving some of my printing challenges in his darkroom as well as over the phone from my own darkroom. I thought some of his critiques at the time were almost brutal, but now I feel they were spot on and deserved. And I'm still learning!

Jerry

Welcome Jerry

if you're interested and if you were not aware, the excellent Chris Jordan also lives in the greater Seattle area - Chris has produced some excellent 8x10 work - here's a link - http://www.chrisjordan.com/contact.php - Chris posing with what looks like a Toyo 810M

regards

andrew