how hard should this be ?

New here? Introduce yourself.
picklewi

how hard should this be ?

Post by picklewi » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:10 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I just got a 2nd hand view camera, the lens/shutter will have to go to be sorted (recommendations, anybody?) but I have two specific questions.

1) I really have to work at getting the film carrier out, there is nothing really to grip and I have to wrestle the focussing screen back on its springs so that I can wriggle the carrier out. Should it be that diificult ? Some graphite some place ?

2) the springs that hold the screen are bent on the open edge so that there is space to introduce the film carrier but then in the absence of the carrier I have to use a thumb on the open side to push the screen onto the back of the camera if I wanted to get a correct focus. Is this normal ?

The camera is a Ilford PIM (1950's vintage) and the film carriers are Arca d/s so this is a standard size/arrangement

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi there, cant help with the camera, as for the shutter work I have used Black on White a few times. Great service and turn around, number is 01179420434, the guys name is John Quantick. They are based in Bristol but are very prompt with regard to P+P.
Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

masch
Founder

Re: how hard should this be ?

Post by masch » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:19 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

picklewi wrote:1) I really have to work at getting the film carrier out, there is nothing really to grip and I have to wrestle the focussing screen back on its springs so that I can wriggle the carrier out. Should it be that diificult ? Some graphite some place ?
Er... No. Normal procedure: lift the GG screen a little, pull out the DDS filmholder. Slowly let the GG back back onto the camera. You may have to pull the holder a little away from the camera, as there is a small ridge, but otherwise is should come out easily...
picklewi wrote:2) the springs that hold the screen are bent on the open edge so that there is space to introduce the film carrier but then in the absence of the carrier I have to use a thumb on the open side to push the screen onto the back of the camera if I wanted to get a correct focus. Is this normal ?
In short, no. The purpose of the springs is to keep the GG screen in the position of the film plane if there is no holder inserted. Possibilities: your springs are slack. This may be corrected by disassembling the spring arms and bending the springs back into shape. Pain in the neck, though.
Alternatively, the spring arms (the bits that clamp into the camera back) may be bent.

Is there a chance to have an image? It may be easier to disgnose this way.

Which part of the world are you in? Maybe someone here is not too far away and can take a look..
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

SteveH
Forum Hero

Post by SteveH » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

For shutter repairs, I have used Black on White in Bristol very pleased with results - from completely knackered to better than new for £45.

Alan Quantick
Black on White
105, Coldharbour Rd, Bristol, Avon BS6 7SD
Tel: 0117 942 0434

Steve
Big is beautiful.