Hello from London

New here? Introduce yourself.
Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Hello from London

Post by Valerio Trigari » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Everyone!

my name is Valerio and I live in London. Since I began taking pictures about 20 years ago and looked in awe at Ansel Adam's masterpieces, I wanted to have a large format camera. In the past I owned both 35mm and medium format cameras, and in recent years I enjoyed working in digital. However, I started missing working in the darkroom and the pleasure of seeing the picture slowly form on the paper.

So instead of buying a full frame 35mm digital camera, a couple of days ago I realised my dream and bought my first large format kit. Initially I thought of buying a brand new one, but then the person in the studio proposed me a second hand camera and lens that were in very good condition, so I went for it. Here's what I've got: a Linhof Kardan Super Color 4x5 with a Sinar Sinaron S 150mm f/5.6 lens (which, I understand, is the same as a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N).

I also bought a Fuji PA-45 instant film holder and both colour and B&W instant film. This will allow me to check immediately if I'm doing something wrong, since I've never used a large format camera before and I rather have immediate feedback, instead of waiting a few days to get the sheets developed. After that, I will start taking pictures on sheet films and (hopefully) enjoy the results.

Anyways, here I am and I hope to make new friends in UK passionate about large format photography.

Ciao! :)
http://www.valeriotrigariphotography.com/

Proud owner of a Linhof Technikardan 45.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: Hello from London

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Valerio

good to have you on here - sounds like you've picked up some decent kit for starters

good luck and best regards

andrew

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Andrew,

thank you vey much. I'm very happy about my kit and I can't wait to play with it.

Cheers,

Valerio

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

thanks Valerio

best regards

andrew

Mick O'Connell

Post by Mick O'Connell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi mate

Have fun :)
“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” Scott Adams

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks! I will certainly do. :)

Susie Frith

Post by Susie Frith » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Valerio and welcome to the forum.

As you will find for yourself the Kardan Color is a super bit of kit, and very underated. I also have one, and find it almost as good as the Technika in 5x4. They are certainly cheaper and give most of the benefits of a monorail but with a quick and easy set-up. Linhofs seem a bit out of favour at the moment which is a shame.

Susie

John Hamlen

Post by John Hamlen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Valerio,
It's great that instant film is still available in 5x4 isn't it. Instant, one-of-a-kind LF photos have a wonderful "look" to them in their own right beyond just being used for test shots. I wish they still made it in 10x8, though I don't think my wallet could stand it :?
Their are quite a few members here either based in London or, like me, not far away.
All the best,
John

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Susie Frith wrote:Hi Valerio and welcome to the forum.

As you will find for yourself the Kardan Color is a super bit of kit, and very underated. I also have one, and find it almost as good as the Technika in 5x4. They are certainly cheaper and give most of the benefits of a monorail but with a quick and easy set-up. Linhofs seem a bit out of favour at the moment which is a shame.

Susie
Hi Susie,

and thanks. I do love my new camera, though I must find a rucksack big enough so that I can carry it on my shoulders. At the moment I'm using a very robust and bulky case, which is good to transport on airplanes or cars, but not so much for climbing up mountains...

Why do you think Linhof is a bit out of favour?

Cheers,

Valerio

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

John Hamlen wrote:Welcome Valerio,
It's great that instant film is still available in 5x4 isn't it. Instant, one-of-a-kind LF photos have a wonderful "look" to them in their own right beyond just being used for test shots. I wish they still made it in 10x8, though I don't think my wallet could stand it :?
Their are quite a few members here either based in London or, like me, not far away.
All the best,
John
Hi John,

and thank you. I like instant film, both for testing and as a medium itself. I'm particularly impressed with the black and white one, which unfortunately has been put out of production very recently. It's a real shame...

I sincerely hope to get to know you guys in real life very soon.

Ciao,

Valerio