Hello from Ireland...

New here? Introduce yourself.
George S

Hello from Ireland...

Post by George S » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just joined up to your site last night. I'm looking forward to contributing some images soon.

A few facts about me:

* I live in Ireland and most of my photography to date has been local.

* My favourite areas for images are in Co Clare on the West Coast and in Co Dublin on the East Coast.

* I first got interested in photography when I happened to stroll into a John Davies Exhibition in Dublin some 20 or more years ago. Was blown away by his images. I wondered what camera and film were used and when I asked the person at the desk they said "why don't you ask him yourself?"...I didn't realise that the only other person in the room at the time was John Davies! (Great bloke and great photographer.)

* Anyway, after more than two decades shooting 35mm, 6x4.5 and 6x6 I have now decided to try 5x4 and bought a s/h Sinar F2 on fleabay. Also bought a 90mm f8 fuji and a 210mm f6.3 Computar Symmetrigon.

*I have only just shot a few test pictures (still life) on some long out of date Polaroid that I picked up. I can't wait to try some sheet film in a couple of holders that I have...although I keep reading scary stories about dust etc. Would I be better off getting Quickloads? :?

* Anyway, this forum is great and I think the pics I have seen on it are smashing.

Looking forward to seeing / meeting / emailing most of you at some stage.

George

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Hello from Ireland...

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:15 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well hello George and welcome to the funny farm :lol:
George S wrote:I live in Ireland ...
What part of Ireland do you live in? I am currently working, off and on, in Dundalk.
George S wrote:Anyway, after more than two decades shooting 35mm, 6x4.5 and 6x6 I have now decided to try 5x4 and bought a s/h Sinar F2 on fleabay. Also bought a 90mm f8 fuji and a 210mm f6.3 Computar Symmetrigon
Hmmm, having bought and sold a Sinar myself, I would say that you may find it a little cumbersone for landscape but, as you get to know us better, you will come to appreciate that a lot of our get-togethers consist of taking our cameras somewhere, finding the weather is too bad and then retiring to the nearset tearoom for some good "crack" :roll:
George S wrote:I have only just shot a few test pictures (still life) on some long out of date Polaroid that I picked up. I can't wait to try some sheet film in a couple of holders that I have...although I keep reading scary stories about dust etc. Would I be better off getting Quickloads? :?
Certainly, ordinary film holders can be magnets for dust unless you are very particular. Qiuckloads are not totally dust free but,if you don't mind the extra cost, they definitely save a lot of time spotting finished images.

We look forward, with bated breath, to your first images :wink:

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello George and welcome. I'm a fairly new member myself. They all seem a great group but maybe drink too much tea! :D

Co. Clare, one place I really must go.

Regards

Barry
Last edited by BarryWilkinson on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

George S

Post by George S » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna & Barry,

Thanks for your welcome! I live in Skerries (by the sea), about 30 miles or so from Dundalk. I work from Home and use what was once my darkroom (although I am in the process of fitting out a darkroom in Co Clare).

Talking of Co. Clare I also have a house right on the West Coast within easy reach of the Burren (moonscape terrain, megaliths, limestone plateaus, and enormous erratic boulders etc).

I would be more than willing to arrange next year to host a weekend project for LF'rs to say fly to Shannon Airport (25 mins away) and stay as guests at my house. It's very comfortable and is a mecca not only for photography, but surfing, hiking etc. By the way there are some incredible pubs in nearby Miltown Malbay and Lahinch (which also serve nice pots of tea).

Regarding the Sinar, it certainly is a bit of a beast but I think if I get a nice stable wooden tripod it may just be ok for field work.

Good to talk with you,
G.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello George,
I'll be in your neck of the woods at the start of April and will spend a couple days on the Burren. I have never been to Ireland before, so I'll be having a bit of a recce more than a focussed assault. If you have any suggestions on good locations for LF, or if you want to meet up, I'll be delighted to hear from you.
I like the idea of an Irish meeting. That could surpass all previous records in terms of rain and wind... I can't wait to see the face of Ryan Air staff when 20 LF'ers turn up to board one small plane :lol: .
Charles

gari
Forum Hero

Post by gari » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Goerge, welcome to the group. Great area you are in, I have been surfing in the area, Lahinch sticks in my memory in particular. Also the Dingle, mmmm.

I have wanted to do a road trip to the West Coast for a while now, shooting film during the day, jamming in the pub in the evening. Perfect.

look forward to seeing some work

Gari
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

George S

Post by George S » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Charles - "rain and wind"????? Surely, you must be thinking of some other country? Ireland doesn't get any of that sort of weather. :wink:

If we can meet up I would be delighted. Whatever, I will certainly research a few nice locations and will pm the details to you. I don't think you will be disappointed. Give me a couple of weeks to get back to you on that.

Gari - your welcome is appreciated. As I said earlier LF'rs are welcome to come visit. Now I need to get down and shoot some film....

Thanks again,
George.

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

George S wrote:Charles - "rain and wind"????? Surely, you must be thinking of some other country? Ireland doesn't get any of that sort of weather. :wink:
Well, how come Podge and Rodge look so wrinkled? :lol: There are not many places I visit that mean packing a brolly and a bikini at the same time. Come to think of it, maybe the bikini would be stretching things just a little :shock:

George S

Post by George S » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Joanna...you'll be welcome in a bikini anytime.

(BTW...it's probably just as well that most of the Forum has never seen or heard Podge and Rodge!)

G.