Hi everyone

New here? Introduce yourself.
brucecairns

Hi everyone

Post by brucecairns » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I live in Norfolk, and have been using 5x4 since 2004. I know quite a lot of the people on this forum, mostly from going on many workshops over the years with Joe Cornish and David Ward.

As some of you know, I have recently made the decision - with enormous difficulty - to give up large format :cry: . The recent Fuji announcement contributed to it, but the end of Quickload was also a very big factor. I'm very short of time, and loading darkslides is not for me (although I know some people love it)

I'll be posting a number of items for sale over the next few days, including my beloved Ebony SU, some lenses (including two of the legendary little Fujinons, 240 and 450mm, and a Nikon SW 90mm f4.5), and a pretty large quantity of the original Velvia 50 which has been deep frozen from new - a little bit of Quickload left, but a lot of cut sheets. There's also a Linhof viewfinder (the LF photographer's friend) and a Pentax Digital Spotmeter 2, and several nice darkcloths (you know how you have to keep trying new ones? Yes, me too). So - watch this space. In the meantime I'll be browsing and enjoying the forum. I may no longer be using a proper camera, but I'll always be a large format photographer at heart. :( :) :D

PS - I hope I don't get the welcome that Paul gave Guy.

Bruce

Charles Twist
Founder

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Charles Twist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Bruce,
Colour is not the be all and end all. And Fuji might be letting LF down, but Kodak will be around for a bit longer - I hope. Ilford have adapted to the niche market, so that's more hope. I think the demand for film will continue; then it's a matter of price per sheet to manufacture. I don't see any return to Quickload though.
I imagine there'll be a glut of gear designed to get the most out of colour transparency film. I wish you the best of luck with your sell-off.
Best regards,
Charles

brucecairns

Post by brucecairns » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks, Charles, for a wise and helpful reply. Long may film continue.

joolsb
Forum Hero

Post by joolsb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Sorry to hear that, Bruce. Another loss to the digital steamroller… :(

loading DDS's is a pain but if you have enough you can load them all at once and keep them in the fridge for when you need them and, whilst it's obviously not the same as Velvia, Kodak colour negative stock offers superb tonality, easy scanning and a much more neutral gamut.

I've just recently come back from a trip with David Ward and, from what he said, he won't be giving up LF anytime soon - despite losing his favourite emulsion. It's still the best medium for landscape work, imo. Plus there are the comments you get when you go through airport security. I had to unpack my Ebony five times on this trip and each time got an interested comment from security personnel or fellow passengers. You simply don't get that with a DSLR...

brucecairns

Post by brucecairns » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Julian. I hope you had a good time in Canada and got a good haul of images - I'm sure you did.

Yes, another one bites the dust. I find myself at the same time in complete agreement with everything you say, and yet knowing that at a purely personal level I have made the right decision! I will always be nostalgic for LF and for film.

I hope to catch up with you soon!

Bruce

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bruce

y'know you really do not need to give up LF..............................................

I agree that loading dds are a right PITA, particularly 4 x 5's but haven't you considered using a roll film back with a 4 x 5, there's none of the dds hoohah stuff, just load a film and off you go

I appreciate that 6 x 4.5/7/9/12/17 whatever isn't really considered to be 'LF' by some on this forum but it is as far as I'm concerned, it is

andrew

Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Post by Paul Arthur » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:13 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

It's a bit late now Andrew, and I've seen what he's been producing with his post-film setup... he'll be ok!