Hello there

New here? Introduce yourself.
David Evans
Forum Hero

Hello there

Post by David Evans » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello - I'm in the Ribble Valley in Lancashire.
I'm new to Large Format, having enjoyed using a Mamiya 7 for a number of years, then moved to digital - which I enjoyed on the surface, but just never got any shots that made me think 'wow!' Maybe the problem was that I spend a lot of time in front of a computer at work and it's the last thing I want to do for relaxation.
So after a long time deliberating I made the move a couple of weeks ago and sold the digital gear and bought an Ebony RSW45.
And I'm pleased to bits with the change, but really need to find someone to explain in practical terms the theory behind focusing and shift etc.
So if there is anyone in this area who wouldn't mind giving me some basic tuition I'd really appreciate it, and if it's something you do for a living I don't expect your time for free! Similarly if you can recommend anyone who runs courses I'd be interested in knowing the details (I've already looked at Joe Cornish's courses and he's booked up to September, and I don't want to wait that long).
Have a good Easter weekend everyone.
David

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi David

Welcome to the group. I am in Southport and that is a mere stone's throw from you. If you want to get in touch, I'll send you a message with my phone numbers. Apart from the fact that we have an upcoming free workshop (apart from accomodation) in Scarborough in a couple of weeks, if you want a day out learning about focus there are several of us in the near vicinity who will happily show you how to focus the beast that is your camera :wink:
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Lynne Evans
Forum Hero

Workshops

Post by Lynne Evans » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:58 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi David, I can personally recommend the large format workshop run at Inversnaid in the first week in July:

http://www.inversnaidphoto.com/glancef.htm

The food, accommodation and tuition are great, and you process the film each day so you get to see the results of your efforts as you go along. I think it's probably better value for money than JC's course and I got a lot out of it.

Lynne

CarlRadford

Re: Workshops

Post by CarlRadford » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Another vote for Inversnaid - well worth the money - great tuition!
Lynne Evans wrote:Hi David, I can personally recommend the large format workshop run at Inversnaid in the first week in July:

http://www.inversnaidphoto.com/glancef.htm

The food, accommodation and tuition are great, and you process the film each day so you get to see the results of your efforts as you go along. I think it's probably better value for money than JC's course and I got a lot out of it.

Lynne

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Re: Workshops

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

CarlRadford wrote:Another vote for Inversnaid - well worth the money - great tuition!
Or there's always our own workshops where the tuition is free 8)
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

Bob Singleton

New Camera

Post by Bob Singleton » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:16 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi David

I have just registered for this group but by coincidence it seem that we have both just started out and since I live in Mellor we are practically neighbours.

Bob

David Evans
Forum Hero

I just noticed that you'd joined up also!

Post by David Evans » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Bob
I have been wondering if there was anyone else around this area using large format, so very interested to hear from you.
I think you can see from my post that I am very new to LF, and reading your post I think you are twenty or so frames ahead of me! I use slide film though, and see you use B&W.
I met up with Joanna Carter (the forum moderator) last Thursday, and Joanna was really helpful in showing me some of the basics. What I need now is the free time to take some shots!
Joanna and some other members are planning a day out this Saturday (two days time) in the West/North Yorkshire area. I can't make it, but if you are interested I'm sure they would be delighted to welcome you along.
And if you would like to meet up one evening to take some shots in the Ribble Valley please let me know.
David
David