Hello From Southwest Scotland

New here? Introduce yourself.
ChrisFB

Hello From Southwest Scotland

Post by ChrisFB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:38 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just joined the world of Large Format, after a two year wait. Back in late 2011, I was "lucky" enough to be offered a brief go with a MPP 5x4 monorail camera. Its owner had only the camera week, and this was the first time he's got it out the case to use it! I remember the day well because it was bitterly cold and he took 30 minutes to compose a shot of a barn door less than 15ft in front of the camera! I got bored and took this portrait with my dSLR to pass the time. I got one shot, on the last piece of film in the two film holders the owner had. Using the MPP felt instinctive, so much so that I've wanted to have a Large Format camera of my own ever since. Sadly the shots taken that day didn't turnout. The camera's owner tried to process them in a round Paterson tank with no film holder. Can you guess were this is heading. The film stuck to the side of the tank and no chemicals got to the emulsion! The trip was like something from an old fashioned farce. But I was hooked on 5x4, and now just over 2 years later I'm about to get down to some serious portraiture using my own camera. I picked up a Calumet 5x4 (also known as a B&J Orbit) camera.

Chris
Dumfries, Southwest Scotland.

George Hart
Forum Hero

Re: Hello From Southwest Scotland

Post by George Hart » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:02 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome to the forum, Chris. You sound to have had an eventful introduction to LF. There are people here with good experience of LF, alternative printing etc. The forum has been quiet for a long time, partly I suspect because quite a few have "gone digi", and also because there's a lot of information on the much larger and international LF photography forum. The UK LF group has organized meetings and workshops in the past—maybe it's time for another one in based in Keswick!

George