Hello from me

New here? Introduce yourself.
JohnG

Hello from me

Post by JohnG » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:37 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd use my first post as an introduction to myself and to say hi to all the other Large Format Photographers here.

I am based in Worcestershire, England and I have been using an LF camera for about a year now. It is a Kwok's field camera. I haven't heard much about them but it was cheap and it works well for me.

It's taken me until recently to get any photos scanned, as I am not the fastest of people, which I guess is why I enjoy LF so much. I have put some of my photos on my new site, which I'm still working on but would appreciate some feedback from some of the very knowledgeable photographers here.

http://www.largeformatlandscapes.com

I'm hoping to pick up some useful tips and to chat to some friendly people. As soon as I have learned something, maybe I can help someone on here too in the future.

All the best, John
If life was as simple as me, we'd treat each other with respect!

George S

Post by George S » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Lovely warm photo John! Welcome to LF land.

G.

PAUL O
Founder

Post by PAUL O » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:36 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John
Welcome! Superb photography! Hope to see you at a workshop in the not-too-distant!

Tim Myers
Forum Hero

Post by Tim Myers » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John,

You have some beautiful images there, very impressive.

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John,
There are some really nice images on your site, thats a great years work, thanks for sharing.

Just one thing, I might change the colour of the text saying "By John Greenwood", I find it a little hard to read against that background. Otherwise I like the presentation.

Looking forward to reading your "techniques" section.

Tom.

timparkin
Forum Hero

Post by timparkin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bloody hell you had a busy April 2006!!

Great shot of Yr Eifel by the way (sorry about the spelling!) and wonderful work all round...
Waiting for the developing bill - 2 hours (and it's so small now!)

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:26 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone. It's nice to get praise from accomplished photographers.

Tom - I know what you mean about the colour of my name. I liked the colour but wasn't happy with it blending into the background. My web design skills need a bit of attention. It is probably worse on other monitors. I have changed the colour of it slightly and I am happier with it now. I hope it is clearer on your monitor.

I will add to the techniques section as soon as I have figured some out. I am still finding my way around LF photography. Maybe during a workshop someone can explain things to me. So far I've figured out that the pointy end of the camera faces forward.

Tim - lol, well spotted. I was rushing the website and just entered the same date into the database until I had time to go through my notes on each photo. I was hoping no-one would notice until I pulled my finger out. I forgot LF Photographers have an eye for detail.

Thanks again everyone, I accept advice I agree with gracefully.

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:09 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi John, the new colour is a big improvement :).

Judging by the images on there I think that you've either been very lucky and used up a lot of film or you have actually figured out some techniques already.

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:18 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Excellent thanks :D .

Um, yeah I've used up more film than I care to imagine. I have one focusing technique, tilting the ground glass, that I picked up from Jack Dykinga's Large Format Nature Photography. I use this for every shot. I like the exagerated foreground so I stuck with it. I don't know how much difference tilting the lens makes in terms of focus, if it's better or not. I learn better from being shown something rather than reading it in a book. I have a couple of LF books that explain everything but it is taking a while to sink in.

Tom Perkins

Post by Tom Perkins » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi again,
Tilting the front standard (lens), only effects focus, not the shape of the image, like tilting the rear standard (ground glass) does. So if you like the exaggerated foreground rear tilt is the one to use, otherwise use front. Unfortunately, my camera only has front tilt, so I don't have much choice.

JohnG

Post by JohnG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

ok thanks. I've had it a year now so I guess I should really learn how to use it properly, even if I don't use all the functions. I should learn the proper names for the bits as well :) .