Good afternoon from Newcastle

New here? Introduce yourself.
Chris Jameson

Good afternoon from Newcastle

Post by Chris Jameson » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I've been reading this site for a few weeks now, so thought it was time for me to join in.

I don't actually own a camera quite yet, but that's in hand and I should have one shortly.

My only experience of LF is a one day workshop a few months ago at the Linhof Studio, as a 'taster' to see if I liked it.
One day and I was hooked!

Chris.

Brian E

Post by Brian E » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Chris Welcome

You may live to regret choosing Large Format but you will never stop enjoying it. - It is everything to all people - Control of your photographs and a means to slow the world down - You will also start to SEE the world instead of just looking at it.

Besides it is great fun and you meet a much nicer class of people :lol:

This forum is a great source of information + help is just a 'post' away

regards

Brian
Gandolfiuser

BarryWilkinson
Forum Hero

Post by BarryWilkinson » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:06 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Chris,

You won't look back!

Have fun

Barry

Chris Jameson

Post by Chris Jameson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the welcome.

SEEING the world is what I want.
About 4 years ago I went from a fully automatic 35mm slr to a Mamiya C220, all manual, using an ancient Gossen selenium cell meter.
It's a completely different world, not least because you're seeing a larger image and it's back to front.
The fact that my 'hit' rate went from around 10 shots on a 36exp roll to around 8-10 shots from 12 on a 120 roll gave a very clear indicator of the benefits of using allegedly 'old' technology and techniques.

I always knew I wanted to at least try large format at some point as the prospect of all that control was quite enticing.
I was advised to go on a workshop or course to see whether or not I actually liked it, so I went on a David Ward one day workshop in partnership with the Linhof Studio.
It was something of a culture shock, but I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and came away with a smile on my face and a new addiction (and they always seem to be expensive, albeit legal ones!).
Incidentally they may be running another one day workshop in the spring.
Work permitting I'll be there, and I'd recommend it to anyone, not least for the fantastic lunch.

So I'm busy buying my first camera, a Shen Hao TZ45, and will post elsewhere about lens buying as I have a few questions.
Hopefully I'll have an outfit ready for the Christmas Holidays when I can start to play.

Cheers,

Chris.