Hello from 'Uddersfield!

New here? Introduce yourself.
BennehBoy

Hello from 'Uddersfield!

Post by BennehBoy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:31 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

Not only new to the forum, but also new to the format. I've just bought a Sinar P2 4x5 (waiting on delivery), and am in the process of building up my LF outfit.

So far I've got a loupe, 7 DDS holders (mix of toyo and fidelity), and 1 box of Porta 160NC. I'm considering quickloads, but am unsure what the concensus is on them.

I'm on the lookout for any and all helpful info about shooting a view camera , I've read quite a bit already, stuff from over at the large format photography forum, and the LF section in 'Photography 8th Edition' - naturally I think I need to put some more effort in so please please suggest whatever you think may help!

I'm wanting to use the Sinar for shooting mainly environmental portraiture and straight environmental images - http://benneh.net/m62corridor/index.asp has some examples shot on 6x7. With that in mind I'm in the process of getting 90 and 150mm lenses - I think I'll also need a bag bellows for the 90, but would appreciate a steer from the forum on that.

I'm also not sure what to do about shades/hoods - I was thinking of either grabbing an additional standard bellows+rods/holders/multipurpose standard OR getting the Lee pro bellows shade for my existing Lee filter system - again I'd appreciate some input from anyone in the know.

So, hello, and thanks for any/all help!
Ben

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:07 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hiya Ben,

Welcome to our select little group :lol:
The Sinar is an excellent camera, if somewhat ..... huge. I think Andrew (Apple) has one as well, so he may be better suited to give appropriate comments....

Bookwise, Leslie Strobel (The View Camera Handbook or something like that) springs to mind. A bit on the dry side, but excellent technically. You should be able to pck up a 4rd or 4th edition on Abebooks for a good price. Steve Simmons has also written a nice little treatise which is not quite as textbook like.

Film wise, portra NC is good, decent latitude, accurate colours. Quickloads are nice and easy, but get expensive. A lot of people go to the expense, because it limits dust and is very convenient, though. A matter of tase, really. Start with sheetfilm and DDSs, and maybe try QLs at the next get-together. No need to rush in :)

Lenses: 90 and 150 are pretty much the standard that people get, so you aren't going wrong here. Often people get a 210 or 240 or maybe a 30 afterwards. That covers most things you might want to shoot.

Shades.... Well, On most field cameras, people don't bother. You can stand there and shade with an extra DDS or so if you are worried. System shades tend to be quite dear....

I assume you have a BIG tripod already, because the P2 is quite heavy. I have used a Cambo Master unit (about the same weight) on a Manfrotto 55 Series, and could really only work with the camera well centered. I'd suggest to get one of the large studio tripods, like the 28 or the 58. Again, Andrew might have more insight here.

Oh and a large car might be a good idea as well :)

Anyways, welcome and have fun!

Marc
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:11 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the book advice, I'll look them up.

On the subject of tripods, I've got a 055XPROB with 110 geared head that I use for my Rollei 6008i - I was hoping it would suffice, I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

I must say I'm quite nervous about loading the DDS's, I've got a changing bag but have seen a lot of people write that they prefer to just use a fully darkened room, would be grateful for advice on this.

What's this about get togethers?
Ben

Joanna Carter
Founder
Workshop Images: http://grandes-images.com/fr/Paysages/P ... _2009.html

Post by Joanna Carter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ben, welcome...
BennehBoy wrote:On the subject of tripods, I've got a 055XPROB with 110 geared head that I use for my Rollei 6008i - I was hoping it would suffice, I suppose I'll find out soon enough.
I assume you mean the 410 head ? at least I can't find any mention of the 110. If you do mean the 410, then I would say that such a head would be OK but, as Marc says, the O55 tripod could be a tad on the light side.
BennehBoy wrote:I must say I'm quite nervous about loading the DDS's, I've got a changing bag but have seen a lot of people write that they prefer to just use a fully darkened room, would be grateful for advice on this.
Both Marc and I have the Calumet Changing Room which is a collapsible "box" with sleeves plenty big enough to load DDSs or dev tanks without the material dropping all over the film.
BennehBoy wrote:What's this about get togethers?
Well, Andrew Pell lives very near you, Marc lives in Manchester and I live in Southport. We have met up several times in the past and would more than likely welcome another opportunity to come over your way. Andrew knows a very good selection of hostelries in case of inclement weather.
Reassure yourself - stroke an Ebony

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Yeah I did mean the 410 - not sure why I typed 110 :D

I'll look into the calumet changing room, sounds much easier to use. Ta!
Ben

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome to the forum Ben

Paul (aka mitchtheshutter)

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Ben,

Yep, the 410 is probably fine. Just make sure you mount the camera not too fare off the centre of gravity....
This'll not be too problematic, unless you want to do downwards or macro shots, need extreme drop, etc. Still, large tripod is definitely recommended.

The Sinar is a Studio camera... It CAN be taken out in the field, but you are making things a little complicated. But then, we field camera people will be very envious of all the movements you have available :)
As a metaphor: Think of taking a Rolls Royce, with TV, refrigerator, etc and then going through Scottish single track roads... Doable, even comfortable, but not the easiest :)

Marc

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for the welcome Paul.

@masch, yeah I totally get the analogy - I'm one of those daft sods that likes to get the best of everything. I'm used to struggling around with kit, I'm known to drag an entire portable lighting system around (4 flashes, 4 stands, batteries, modifiers etc), so I'm sure I'll cope with the Sinar, hopefully I won't ever be shooting more than 50 yards from the car boot!
Ben

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

masch wrote:... But then, we field camera people will be very envious of all the movements you have available :)
Except us Ebony SV45 owners who have plenty of movements :P :roll:

Marc, Andrew, do we fancy getting together sometime soon? Andrew, you could always bring your Sinar out to play with Ben's :shock:
BennehBoy wrote:... hopefully I won't ever be shooting more than 50 yards from the car boot!
Now, who was it who said that nothing beyond that is picturesque ? 8)
Last edited by Joanna Carter on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'll happily join you for a walk. As for the 50m from the car restriction, we'll just have to see...
I look forward to meeting you.
Charles

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well, it arrived, and erm it's much larger than I expected! I guess I can cancel the gym membership.
Ben

Joanna Carter
Founder

Post by Joanna Carter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

BennehBoy wrote:Well, it arrived, and erm it's much larger than I expected! I guess I can cancel the gym membership.
:roll: :roll: :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, do you fancy lugg^H^H^Hbringing you new friend for a day out sometime soon ?

BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:13 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Aye sounds like a laugh.
Ben

Apple
Forum Hero

Post by Apple » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the crowd. How's the weightlifting going and has the tripod been renamed "Bambi" yet? :wink:

I still have my P2 - the first LF camera I got after reading the Stroebel book that Mark mentioned above. The latest versions will probably have been updated for modern equipment but unless you get into digital backs on LF then the gear's stayed roughly the same for 100 years :wink:

When I used my P2, I had an 058 tripod and 229 head (basically, built like the proverbial outhouse) as my previous Uniloc tripod splayed in front of your eyes with the weight of the camera and lens.

They are a great camera and you'll learn a lot about LF with some of the labour saving devices on it (asymmetric movements, DOF scales etc) but and as has been mentioned, it's the Rolls Royce of cameras - anything else is a step down... (but definitely kinder on the old back). 150 and 90mm lenses are a good starting point - I have a 75 and 210 as well but these don't see much service

As for a get-together, are you doing anything next Saturday? We'd thought of a trip around the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, starting at Keighley and maybe moving on to Oakworth etc. The first couple of trains of the day are diesel but then they go onto steam services. There's a decent watering hole above Oakworth that serves large portions and decent beer so I wouldn't have too much for elevenses.

Andrew
Full Member of the Tearoom Appreciation Society - affiliated to UKLFPG.

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:45 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Apple wrote:As for a get-together, are you doing anything next Saturday? We'd thought of a trip around the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, starting at Keighley and maybe moving on to Oakworth etc.
I might be able to make that day (26th). And I might have my new toy by then :)

Marc