Greetings from new member.

New here? Introduce yourself.
Rob G

Greetings from new member.

Post by Rob G » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Greeting to you all,
My name is Rob, I live in Stourbridge which used to be in Staffordshire, however has now moved to the West Midlands. I was a keen photographer in my younger days, but with pressure of work and raising a family my interest wained.
However 2 years ago my love was re-kindled, my photographic equipment was taken out of the loft and I subsequently enrolled at college as a mature student ( politically correct speak for old codger going back to school).
I am currently in the second year of a three year City and Guilds course in Photography and am very proud of the fact I got distictions in all three of my modules last year, and had my work exhibited in the college exhibition.
To date I have used only 35mm along with 6x6 and 6x9 medium format, for which I prefere black and white film , I have longed to venture into large format consequently last week I purchased a Cambo SC with 150mm Rodenstock lens and Copal shutter, which I am just getting to know, I am really excited at the prospect of moving into this medium.
Thank you for taking the time to read these ramblings, I hope to become an active member of this forum and look forward to getting to know the members.
Regards,
Rob.

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Welcome Rob, you'll find there are a few 'old codgers' here (myself included) so you'll feel at home.

Paul

Nat

Post by Nat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Rob, welcome, like you I am also a student, but the wrong side of 45 so classed as a “Vintage Student”. :D

I have found the forum a great source of info, and members keen to help out, enjoy and I hope the studies go well. In my last year at the moment, then I hope to join in on the workshops that are run by the forum and get away from the theory side and put it to practice.

Nat

masch
Founder

Post by masch » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:22 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Rob,

The C&G course is a really nice course, as long as you have a decent teacher, even if some of the technical content is a bit over the top (Anybody know what a "G-Bar" is? That was one of my exam questions.) However as a motivation to go out and shoot, that course was brilliant!

The SC was my first LF camera too, together with a 150 Geronar it saw me through a couple of studio projects :) Nice and simple camera that does all you need :) Only oone drawback: packing it up is a pain. And the case costs more than the camera :shock:

Anyway, have fun and happy shooting!

Marc
(currently suffering insomnia)
Real Photographers use METAL cameras.....
...and break their backs in the process... :)
http://homepage.mac.com/mjjs/Photography/

monst

Post by monst » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hiya rob

welcome aboard. i'm from kingswinford in the midlands and knocked around stourbridge for years. i'm in south london now but still visit there every few months to see family and friends and cheaper beer!

cheers

john