Norway!

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Paul Arthur
Forum Hero

Norway!

Post by Paul Arthur » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

So, it turns out that I'm off to Norway for a couple of weeks in October. I'm driving there and back and will have two interrupted weeks for landscape in Norway with no restrictions really (except perhaps for how bloomin huge Norway is!).

Anyone got any recommendations for where to visit? I'll be starting and finishing in Oslo and hope to make it up to the Lofoten Islands for a few days, but there's a lot in between that I'd like to consider.

Also, suggestions of where is cool in the Lofotens would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Aender

Re: Norway!

Post by Aender » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:18 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,

driving through Norway will take a lot of time and you might easily understimate the distances and the required time to reach your destination. I can only support your intention to visit the Lofoten islands as they are really stunning. I was there in September 2008 (flying from Oslo to Bodo), took the ferry from Bodo to Moskenes on the most southern island Moskenesoya and never made it much farther north than the town of Leknes on Vestvagoya. Almost every place I came to was so beautiful and wild that I just had to stop and grab the camera.
Some of my favourites were Utakleiv and Vikbukta just a few miles north of Leknes and the Vestre Nesland on the southern tip of Flakstadoya island. But again, there are so many breathtaking places on the Lofoten islands that you can hardly miss the opportunities.
In October, it should be fairly easy to see northern lights (aurora borealis). If you have never experienced this "show" before, prepare for some big excitement!

Here are a few pictures I took on the Lofoten islands in 2008: http://www.aenderbrepsom.com/gallery_175736.html

Enjoy your trip!

Aender