A scrub up

If you want comments on your images.
richard littlewood

A scrub up

Post by richard littlewood » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just done a bit of updating/tweaking, brushed off a few cobwebs. Some stuff that may be of interest from one LF'er to other LF'ers. I think my site is short of a bit of a culling though, I'm not too logical with layout, but anyway http://www.richard-littlewood.com

Thingy
Forum Hero

Re: A scrub up

Post by Thingy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Very nice. I particularly like your project 'The Big Rough'. My mother was brought up nearby in a place called Greenfield, near Upper Mill and we are returning for a brief stay in August for my mother's 80th birthday.

You say on your website that you do reductions for buying more than one print. I take it that is for copies of the same image, not three different images?

What sort of frames do you have for framed images?

I'm interested in the smallest size prints - as my home is very small! Do you do prints a few inches smaller? IE instead of 12x16" do you do, say 8x10.6 on a sheet of A4 printing paper?

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:25 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Just thought I'd mention that since I first posted the original I've done more serious tweaking. All due to my lazyness in not keeping up with monitor calibration. A lot of the images looked great on my soon to be kicked out old monitor, bur really weedy on a decent monitor, so I've resized and rebalanced quite a lot of them.

Thingy
Forum Hero

Post by Thingy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Richard

I have had a good look at your website and want to say how much I like it. I particularly appreciate the fact that it doesn't have floating menus, which can be a pain to use. I do however have one caveat - font size and colour.

Some of your pages, such as the list of image categories at the link below:
http://www.richard-littlewood.com/portfolio.htm

and your list of links, etc, use small fonts that are difficult to read. Larger fonts and clearer colours would help those of us with less that perfect eyesight. The main menu would also benefit from larger fonts and the use of a darker green.

Regards

Steve
Love is an Ebony mounted with a Cooke PS945.......

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:33 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

What a coincidence. That is something that has been bugging me also recently - I think the geezer that did the site originally must have tack sharp eyes. The text colour/size is on the (ever expanding) list of things I need to change.
Cheers
Richard

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Some more updates, this time in Transport and electricity.

Had one or two interesting encounters with security staff. They dont like it when you photograph their power stations. Seems if you went in for long shots from roads and paths at a distance all would be OK, but get too near and there is a possible window of about 20 mins before someone turns up and thats an end to snapping. Not too good with a 5x4 camera.
On the whole I'm getting all too used to being approached by people that dont seem too sympathetic towards taking pics. Odd really, I bet theres more photography now than ever. Especially cctv.

AbsolutelyN

Post by AbsolutelyN » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Superb and inspiring images Richard, subject matter I'm really interested in exploring myself at some point. I particularly like the Blackstone Edge image - very atmospheric and lovely composition.

Sounds hard work if you are being challenged all the time. I've been stopped by the police four times in the last couple of months - not for taking pictures - just for being out in the countryside at an unusual time of day (3-4am).

Tristan

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for that Tristan, and all the best if you decide to dabble with those sorts of subjects. Loads of cctv, security etc in certain places.
Richard

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I had a look at some of your pictures, Richard. I'm not sure if you've made those changes to the text that were recommended, but even with my dodgy eyesight I find the text easy to read. It looks good to me.

Incidentally, for those who do have difficulty reading text on web pages, it's easy to momentarily increase the text size by pressing Command-Shift-Plus (i.e. the + sign). That's on a Mac, of course, but I'm sure there's a similar combination of keystrokes on a PC keyboard.

Richard, what piqued my interest was your mention of being hassled at power stations. I'm working towards a picture feature inspired by the power station at Dungeness. (I think of power stations and similar structures rather as if they were the gothic cathedrals of today. They're certainly monumental. We live with this "built" environment, which so many people deprecate, but if we look at it with different eyes it's not all that bad.) I've been anticipating something like what you describe, but hoping that as long as I stay within the law I can head off any interference. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's worth looking at the Met's published position on photography: http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm.

Finally, I was tickled at those self-portraits at your site. You have a lovely bottom :) Seriously, though, the bathroom shot is splendid. Well made!

Martyn