A Chapel...In a cave

If you want comments on your images.
timing

A Chapel...In a cave

Post by timing » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:39 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This was probaby one of the most difficult photos situations I have tried to capture since moving back to film, it took some time to setup and figure out and I only had one shot at it.

Ths image is of a Chapel that was carved out of the rock near the village of Goreme in Cappadokya. One part of the cave wall has eroded / fallen away which leaves the side of chapel open - so a fab opportunity with deep shadow and bright parts where the sun ambient light was coming through.

On the light meter I was getting a max brightness of around 5/6 in the bright spots and 0 in the shadows. Focussing in such low light was a real challenge and literally made my eyes ache. Anyway, total exposure was for 60 seconds taking into account the reciprocity failure.

I would have liked to have moved to one side or another slightly so that the stone pulpit was exactly in line with the column behind which is giving an almost optical illusion effect. Every other part of the image was where I wanted it though so I'll take the result as it is.

What really thrills me is that this has turned out ,tonally, exactly as I wanted it look.

I just wished I hadn't scratched the emulsion removing the film from the processor!

Anyway, any comments on how this could have been better?

Film: Fompan 100 8x10
Dev: ID-11 for 12 mins 1+3
Processed in the Orbital Processor.

Oliver

Re: A Chapel...In a cave

Post by Oliver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:28 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

No comment on how it could be done better, but I want to say you certainly have nailed the processing now. This is great. Well shot, and well processed.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Re: A Chapel...In a cave

Post by Andrew Plume » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

outstanding. great

well done you......................

andrew