Odd Result

If you want comments on your images.
Paul Morton

Odd Result

Post by Paul Morton » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Is someone able to shed some light on what's gone wrong here, I had 2 sheets of Quickload come back from the lab this morning with some rather odd results, these were part of a larger batch that all turned out fine. Just interested to know if it was my fault or the lab.

Thanks
Paul
Attachments
Strange Tranny.jpg
Strange Tranny.jpg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 8851 times

Paul Mitchell

Re: Odd Result

Post by Paul Mitchell » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:08 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Looks like light has somehow entered the QL at the time of taking. The black edge to the film has been retained so doubt if it was the lab. I would have said check your QL holder but the others have turned out OK you say... The only thing I can think of is that the holder hasn't been seated properly on the back of the camera and light has crept in.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Charles Twist
Founder

Post by Charles Twist » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:50 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,
Rod and I got film processed on the same day. My 120 is alright; you can ask Rod about his 5x4. Usually that lab is pretty reliable and nips problems before they happen.
The RHS looks like a light leak - usual suspects: poorly seated film holder, bellows not attached properly - but the LHS looks like bellows getting in the way or too many filters. In combination, it is rather odd.
Sorry, can't help beyond that.
Best regards,
Charles

Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with some of your shots. I got my 5x4 slides (Velvia 100) back from NPS yesterday and they're OK in terms of processing.

I'm sure your problem is a light leak caused by pushing the Quickload holder too far into the camera back, beyond the registration slot if your Wista has one. I did this twice in the distant past when I was getting used to the Quickload holder and both times were dawn shots when I couldn't see exactly what I was doing when setting up! Since then I'm always very careful to feel the holder drop into the registration slot. Was the problem on consecutive shots when you hadn't removed/re-inserted the Quickload holder? - this would be further evidence pointing to this fault.

If you want to repeat the sunrise shots at Saltburn sometime over the holidays give me a call.

Haven't yet got around to scanning any of my shots yet, but some look promising through the loupe - fingers crossed :) .

Regards,

Rod.

Paul Morton

Post by Paul Morton » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Really appreciate the feedback on this one, it was as people have pointed out the Quickload holder been pushed too far into the back of the camera. For some sad reason I took a digital snap of the camera set up elsewhere yesterday morning, sure enough the film came back massively fogged/over exposed. I looked at the digital image and the QL holder was hanging about 10mm below where it should be, major schoolboy error :(

Many thanks
Paul