First paper negs out of my Cambo 4x5

If you want comments on your images.
Bill Backhouse

First paper negs out of my Cambo 4x5

Post by Bill Backhouse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Well it works, there are my first large format pics and I'm rather pleased with myself. They are a paper neg made of 'silverprint proof' variable contrast paper, shot at ISO 6 with no filter. There were then scanned n works cheapy epsom scanner, mirrored and inverted to give the positive image. I focused about as close as I could and used a little front tilt to move the focal plane flatter, f8 I think.

full 4X5 paper neg

the interesting bit

ropey scan when you zoom in, even at 2400dpi the neg has more sharpness than the scan.

Any thoughts?

banana_legs

Re: First paper negs out of my Cambo 4x5

Post by banana_legs » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bill,

Nice. Welcome to the LF paper negative community!

Have you tried pre-flashing the paper yet? It helps to maintain the shadow detail more and gives an overall increase in the range of tones that can be captured. As you are using VC paper, you may also want to try a yellow filter which will reduce the effective paper grade and again increase the range of tones that can be captured.

Best regards,

Evan
More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Bill Backhouse

Post by Bill Backhouse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

No pre-flashing. I have some ilford grade 2 stuff here, I may have a go with that as I have loads of it. any hints on the pre-flashing?

banana_legs

Post by banana_legs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Bill,

I put a sheet of paper in a film holder and then hold it up to a 'dim' light; I then pull out the slide about half an inch at a time each second until the full sheet is exposed and then turn off the light. When you develop it, the edge of the sheet will be white where it was under the lip of the film holder which acts as a reference. I use the time for the strip that is just off white; other people take the time of the next strip which is still only just white, but it is a matter of preference. I find that my scanner does well in pulling shadow detail out of the slight fog that I leave.

As for the question of how 'dim' the light should be, the first few attempts may leave black paper if it is too bright; I have a light that at arms length, the flash time is 4 seconds which I can count in my head reliably enough. The light is a small lamp in a plastic container that has two black dog-poo bags over it to give a few stops attenuation (hi-tech!). The only caveat on a light source is that it must not project a pattern onto the paper which some torches with reflectors do; once shone through some diffusion material, a small torch can still work.

Best regards,

Evan
More mad ramblings at http://blog.concretebanana.co.uk

Tom van Kan

Post by Tom van Kan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Nice, great to see someone using a Weston Master Exposure Meter!