Hello from deepest, darkest Essex...

New here? Introduce yourself.
Paul Jenkin

Hello from deepest, darkest Essex...

Post by Paul Jenkin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:34 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello.

My name is Paul. I've been a photographer for getting on 40 of my 50 years but only ever using 35mm, MF and Polaroid (as a kid).

I live in north Essex, but hail, originally, from Stockport - just south of Manchester for those unfamiliar. I'm strictly an amateur and earn my crust as an commercial insurance underwriting manager for an insurance company in London. Do I ever hate commuting, though....

I've joined to be amongst people from whom I can learn how to get the best out of my most recent acquisition, a Wista 45 Field camera. I also want to post and contribute what I can, when I'm able. The lens that came with my second-hand purchase, is a Wistar-W 150mm "press lens" - so called (I'm told) because it's like the old press camera lenses that cock and fire in the same movement. It will work with a cable release, though, which is a relief.

I don't have any 5x4 film yet. I'm hoping to get my mitts on a Polaroid / Fuji instant back so that I can see where I'm going right / wrong as soon as possible. As I don't have film processing or printing kit just now, I don't want to waste a load of money on processing unexposed or badly exposed / focused film.

Once I'm up and running, I'll probably limit myself to Velvia and Provia for Landscapes, Portra 160 for portraits and FP4+ or Acros 100 for just about everything when I want to do mono. Hardly original but it's worked for me down the years.

I'm married to a wonderful woman who indulges my hobby and is becoming interested in photography (albeit digital) and insists on carrying my tripod. Seriously, I don't ask her - she really does volunteer.

I won't be posting anything soon as I'm doing some reading and playing with the kit first - then we're on holiday. However, I hope to be posting by Christmas. In the meantime, it's nice to be in a UK-based LF community.

Right, enough about me. All the best and I'll try to be a well-behaved cyber-citizen.

Paul.

Paul Mitchell

Re: Hello from deepest, darkest Essex...

Post by Paul Mitchell » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:41 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Wotcha LD, great to have you aboard!

I can also vouch for Paul's nearest and dearest being the extra Sherpa we've all wished for :wink: ...just don't mention frogs!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

http://www.paulmitchellphotography.co.uk
http://www.arenaphotographers.com

Paul Jenkin

Post by Paul Jenkin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Cheers Paul.

I'm off to pick up some out-of-date film and a Polaroid back tomorrow morning. If I can get my mitts on some Fuji instant that will fit the back, I'll see about taking a couple of piccies later this month as I'm just itching to see whether I can get the hang of this new-fangled beastie...

Paul.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

welcome Paul

welcome

andrew

Darwinean_John

Post by Darwinean_John » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Paul,
As a Lancashire man living in Ipswich and working in Insurance industry (currently in City), we may have something in common.
If you fancy hooking up sometime, give me a nudge.
John
Still learning to see