London Locations?

Discussion about locations, interesting or otherwise...
Steven

Re: London Locations?

Post by Steven » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Val

I haven't done much photography in London for a year or two, and things have definitely got worse since I did, but you might want to consider the City (avoiding St Pauls for now) at the weekend. I've photographed around the insurance area (Gherkin, Lloyds, Leadenhall etc) on a Saturday or Sunday without any trouble. It's almost deserted, and the sort of people who think that terrorists use spot metering are few and far between. It's probably as safe an area as you'll find if you don't have someone with you.

Steven

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Val

Brompton Cemetery is about the safest that one can get and that's errr because of the postcode - those that frequent are on the whole interested in other things rather than mugging a photographer - it's a lovely spot, Bob Carlos Clarke is a resident, my only gripe is that it's too lovely and too well kept. It's pretty difficult to mug anyone in there - it's very open and flat and there's 'too much visibility' etc etc

now apart from Highgate which is a pain for a number of reasons, I'm rather partial to:

Kensal Green

a different feel and a really beautiful Crem chapel, less safe I suspect

Abney Park

although fairly close to both 'the other side of the tracks' and the very dodgy Clapton, I've never seen any signs of trouble there - the residents are very different to that of Brompton, some interesting memorials too

regards

andrew

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:01 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Steven wrote:Val

I haven't done much photography in London for a year or two, and things have definitely got worse since I did, but you might want to consider the City (avoiding St Pauls for now) at the weekend. I've photographed around the insurance area (Gherkin, Lloyds, Leadenhall etc) on a Saturday or Sunday without any trouble. It's almost deserted, and the sort of people who think that terrorists use spot metering are few and far between. It's probably as safe an area as you'll find if you don't have someone with you.

Steven
Hi Steven,

I've been considering taking pictures in the City during the weekend, because I work around there (depending on the project) and I've seen many spots that are worth taking pictures of. I agree that it's basically deserted and I probably won't get bothered by anyone, even by security guards suspicious of a spot meter. ;)

Val
http://www.valeriotrigariphotography.com/

Proud owner of a Linhof Technikardan 45.

Valerio Trigari
Forum Hero

Post by Valerio Trigari » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:05 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew Plume wrote: Kensal Green

a different feel and a really beautiful Crem chapel, less safe I suspect

Abney Park

although fairly close to both 'the other side of the tracks' and the very dodgy Clapton, I've never seen any signs of trouble there - the residents are very different to that of Brompton, some interesting memorials too
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion about the other two cemeteries. I have to say I don't know Kensal Green and Abney Park at all.

Valerio
http://www.valeriotrigariphotography.com/

Proud owner of a Linhof Technikardan 45.