Lines on negative - reticulation?

All the techniques and equipment needed to develop film, create glass plates or print following traditional & alternative methods
zoikes

Lines on negative - reticulation?

Post by zoikes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

How big does a temperature drop have to be to induce reticulation?

I developed some FP4 in prescysol last night (it is my usual 35mm developer as it forgives all sorts of cock ups).
I used a combiplan. I have lots of fine straight lines across the emulsion - in the same direction as the surface of the dev / stop etc as you fill. Have i induced reticulation by dropping from 24C dev to ambient (ie. cold) stop?

I've never had it with 35mm (same dev. and temp) or in 5x4 in d76 at 20C. I don't think I can get away with warming the stop, fix and wash in the kitchen microwave! :D

Can you water stop at an intermediate temp?

Ian

lostlandsuk

Re: Lines on negative - reticulation?

Post by lostlandsuk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:22 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian - to be honest most decent fims like FP4 and TMX are pretty damn bomb proof and reticulation is very hard to induce.
When you say lines what do you mean, scratches or development lines?
Phil

zoikes

Post by zoikes » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi

it looks like fine scratches - but not in a direction that any movement of the film may have caused it.

Comparing the films to D76 negatives, it is actually on the non emulsion side, but it is quite matt - as if there is a coating - with lines - on the base. Is this a known problem with tanning developers - pyrocat et al?

I think I'll stick to D76!

Ian

lostlandsuk

Post by lostlandsuk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:39 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi Ian - I don't think I've ever read of tanning developers causing something like this, however in the wonderful world of wet development you neer know.
It could possibly be a manufacturing fault - has been known to happen. The fact you say it isn't on the emulsion side says it probably isn't reticulation. Is there a chance you've scraped it in loading or unloading? it would have to be fairly hefty scraping though - I double dropped a wet :shock: sheet of TMY2 onto a stone flag floor, emulsion side down, and it was fine, so they are fairly robust.
Have you developed any more sheets with Precysol? it is all a matter of narrowing things down.
And at the end of the day, if you've printed or scanned it, have the lines been at all noticable?
Phil

zoikes

Post by zoikes » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks Phil

I have 4 exposed sheets which I will dev with D76 next week. If there are still lines, I have a fresh box to check. I neglected to mark on the box how many I removed, so not sure if any of that batch were used before.

Enlargerless at the moment, but that will soon be solved. As you say if the lines don't show up - who cares?

Ian

lostlandsuk

Post by lostlandsuk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'd split it and maybe develop the shots you are least bothered about in the Precysol and use the rest as a test in the D76 - hope you have some luck and it is a one off. Ilford are very helpful re faults btw!
P