Processing 10x8 B&W film in a developing tank!?

All the techniques and equipment needed to develop film, create glass plates or print following traditional & alternative methods
David B

Processing 10x8 B&W film in a developing tank!?

Post by David B » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hi,

I'm wanting to develop black and white film, such as FP4 10x8 sheet film in Ilford chemistry. Nothing special or unusual about the process.

What I am interested in is whether such a thing as a 'developing tank' or somesuch exists for 10x8 film? I really want to be able to develop the films (loaded in a changing tent, obviously) without dedicating a whole room to being even a temporary blacked out darkroom. I want to have the option of not doing tray processing therefore. I've developed 35mm and 120 roll film this way and got on well with it. I don't want some huge thing that processes loads of sheets at once or uses buckets of chemicals - the whole point is I want to enjoy developing the film myself and also save on processing commercially and avoid sending the film away, etc.

My question therefor is: Does anything exist comercially for the home user to do this?

I am quite good at making things and have a well equippped workshop, so could potentially make something using aluminium, but ideally I'd rather buy an established product if something exists.

(Basically, I'm thinking about something dimensionally similar to a small cereal box in shape, with the bottom of the film carefully clipped to a rectangular weight that would hang towards the bottom of the box. The weight could be prevented from falling and buckling the film, when the tank was inverted, by pinching the side of the tank, and holding the weight by simple interference (if the tank sides are slightly flexy, and sat 1mm oversized compared to the weight. A simple light baffle in a lid would be easy to construct, and I guess I'd need some sort of liquid proof seal, but none of this should be insurmountable). Do-able but would take some effort...

Any thoughts??

Cheers, David.

numnutz

Re: Processing 10x8 B&W film in a developing tank!?

Post by numnutz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

For one sheet - a Patterson orbital get one with a motorized base. You may have to do some slight alterations for a better flow on the negative but this is documented all over the place - takes from 150ml to 300ml solution.

For two sheets A jobodrum or similar I use a 4531 I think other models may be available. This tank takes two sheets at a time, you should make sure to get the two widgets that help keep the film in place if at all possible. You will need some rollers to either roll the tank manually or a motorized base.

Both these solutions are available on the net but at wildly differing prices. They are only good for constant agitation, if you want stand or intermittent you will have to rely on tanks or dishes.

P.S. I use both of the above depending how many sheets I have to develop - I slightly favour the Jobo Way.
of course the solution for 5 x 4 is the Patterson followed by the jobo.

P.P.S. Reading your post again you may find the solution by Mod 34 (http://www.mod54.com/) could be scaled up to 10 x 8 - I have asked about this but no answer as yet.

David B

Post by David B » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks for that, interesting useful advice, but kind of confirms to me that there isn't anything out there that exactly fits...I don't want to get involved with those rotary processors - perhaps wait and see if anything comes of a 10x8 insert as you describe. I may just make my own, or probably get the few sheets I'm likely to take processed commercially, in the short term.

Thanks again.

monst

Post by monst » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

hiya david

i use a set of these:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/ ... Cap/Detail

they work well but are quite pricey for what they are. have heard of some people making use of black drainage tubing with caps on the ends.

cheers

john

David B

Post by David B » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Thanks John, that looks much more like it and something I'll look into.

Cheers.

Martin Jan Köhler
Forum Hero

Post by Martin Jan Köhler » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:52 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm using an Jobo Expert Drum 3005, which allows developing 5 sheets of 8x10 at a time.

It's very well-made and you only need around 500ml of chemistry for the 5 sheets,
perhaps even less.
However, the drum is expensive and a huge beast, not really the cereal box dimensions you mentioned.

Best,
Martin

dennis
Forum Hero

Post by dennis » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Saw this post at an opportune moment!
I am really getting a bit past large format processing & was going to ask if anyone could suggest a reliable commercial 10x8 b & w processor I could use. Or is there an experienced member who could offer to process the odd few 10x8s I get through? Currently two sheets. Preferably within reasonable reach of Bideford, N. Devon. Thanks, Dennis.