Ilford pricing

A place to talk about photography, the meaning of life and anything that doesn't quite fit elsewhere
Peter B
Forum Hero

Ilford pricing

Post by Peter B » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 am Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Now let me point out from the start that I consider Ilford to be a national treasure that should be supported wherever possible. To get an idea about pricing I'd link to eBay to check out the real world price of a box of 25 sheets of 5x4 HP5: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=h ... sacat=4201 and that's now about £39 delivered. This is pretty much the Ag Photographic delivered price as well, although Silverprint use Parcelforce and charge an eye-watering £7.50 for post and that takes their price to beyond £42.

I've had an email from Ilford today to tell me they have reduced their postage for the festive season and that'll now be 99p for orders less than the pretty reasonable free delivery cut-off point of £50. Which would be OK if their price for the same box of HP5 wasn't £47.52 which means £48.52 delivered or almost £10 more than eBay/ Ag prices. And don't get me started on the US prices which may well be cheaper even after the box of film has crossed the atlantic twice. :shock:

Adrian Twiss

Re: Ilford pricing

Post by Adrian Twiss » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This has been the subject of discussion on other fora as well. I agree with your sentiments about supporting Ilford but it is quite ironic that it is cheaper to import film from the US especially if you are looking to buy in any kind of bulk. Its a great shame that the same cannot be said for paper. The postage costs make that a virtual non starter.

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:20 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Hello Peter

fwiw, the Silverprint/Parcelforce price is really very reasonable

I'm posting/shipping stuff not only in the UK but worldwide every week and that's still very cheap, I'm sure that Silverprint will say that they have to factor in at least a quid for the packaging costs

regards

andrew

Peter B
Forum Hero

Post by Peter B » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:49 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Andrew

I didn't mean that Silverprint's carriage cost was high across the board, but for a 25 sheet box of Ilford 5x4 it's adding a full 20% onto the price and the comment was in that context. Jessops charge £1.99 for Royal Mail standard delivery or £3.99 next day and a competitive £36.99 for the film. They'll also supply to the local store at no delivery cost, which obviously would be an unfair comparison.

Up here in the Highlands we're a bit sensitive to carriage costs from the likes of eBuyer who scream free delivery (except for ......................), so Silverprint's costs are actually pretty fair compared to some others!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-h ... s-20449643

Peter

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

thanks Peter

all noted, of course and as you say, there's additional costs in delivering stuff to your area and I'm pleased to hear that the outstanding (imo) Silverprint are competitive too

regards

andrew

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

This has been talked over in the past, and nothing has changed.

We all love Ilford, but not their pricing. I often think they would sell more if the price dropped a little. All those folks who barely accept the pin holes and black twigs on Foma film would return to Ilford in a flash. We all like experimenting, but not much with proper defects.

I'm all too keen to keep the film (especially B+W) and darkroom going, but I do feel I take a hit below the belt with Ilford pricing. We all know they are wonderful, and we should be over joyed they still exist, but try telling that to a teenager. God knows where their future market will come from.

Sorry if this sounds a little rantish!

Richard

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:54 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

no, not a rant at all Richard............anyhow 'forum's' are the place for the odd rant.............

simply a statement as to the continuing position

andrew

vanman
Forum Hero

Post by vanman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

Richard,
If you don't know how to use or handle Foma film just learn to live with it. Most of us who use it regularly don't get "pinholes" or "black twigs" whatever they are. We do , however follow the manufactures instructions and advice that we've recieved on other forums.
Vanman

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:26 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I have actually used about 20 boxes 5x4, well over 200 120's and the same in 35 mm, and can say with absolute confidence that Foma 100 (in 5x4) does now and again have defects.
Its gone through different dev/stop/fix combo's, and still it might or might not have them.
I love this film, but I have a part used box marked 'holed' that has multiple defects that Gets used for chemistry testing only.
What gets me about this film is its hit or miss nature, and if FP4 were the same price I'd stop using it straight off.

Richard

Andrew Plume
Forum Hero

Post by Andrew Plume » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:29 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

yes......................

anyhow, looking at the current prices for a box of 50 sheets of Foma 5 x 4, I see £29.95

and for the same amount of FP4, £69.96 :@

which is a whopping difference :lol: :lol: :lol: and at that differential, there's plenty of scope to play around until one gets it spot on

and quoting from the AG website:-

"...it should be noted, when compared to Ilford, Kodak or Fuji, these films are "character" products - sometimes, although rarely, they may display quirky features which may be interpreted at emulsion defects. This is all part of the charater of the films and under these circumstances it is difficult to get the product replaced by the manufacturer"

just a side thought

andrew

richard littlewood

Post by richard littlewood » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:09 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

I'm not saying Foma 100 is always bad, in fact to get things real I've probably had about 60 sheets that had nasties.
Sometimes ruinous, and sometimes a pain to spot out in print, but it is a film to love on the whole, and especially the price.
I'd say to anyone using sheet film buy a box, check up on the web how others use it, and chances are you will be ordering more.
Incidentally I've never had defects in Ilford sheet films. They are very consistent, and this is probably what Foma suffers from. I don't know, as I mentioned in the 3 years of regular use now and again a little number of sheets have had weird stick like clear marks, pin holes, patchiness, dirt.
There is much more good than bad with Foma 100, and sadly it makes Ilford's films look hideously expensive.
Richard

dave_whatever
Forum Hero

Post by dave_whatever » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm Etc/GMT-1+01:00

If you think Ilford is expensive then take a look at Velvia sheetfilm prices...... :shock: guaranteed to make FP4+ look like a bargain.